• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for two clients in parallel: Legal and documentations requirements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for two clients in parallel: Legal and documentations requirements

Since working from home, there has been availablility and spare time of not travelling to office

What's your experience or issues facing to work for two contracts/clients at same time dedicating time and working from home?

- Manager of 1st company is verbally happy with using spare time as long as work is not impacted.
    - Haven't spoken to second company on the topic yet
    - Both contracts are on time and cost & deliverable basis, so they don't care as long as deliverables are achieved.

So my queries
    1. Have you worked on multiple contracts at same time (i.e in parallel during the weekdays)?
    2. Do we need written permissions from each client?
    3. Any legal obligations or insurances required to do the same?
    Last edited by sojan; 29 June 2020, 12:30.

Originally posted by sojan View Post
    1. Have you worked on multiple contracts at same time (i.e in parallel during the weekdays)?
    Yes

Not necessarily - you are not obligated to inform your clients that you work with other clients but you do need to ensure you manage expectations around delivery timelines and your availability. You should check the contract to make sure it doesn't expect exclusivity.

Not necessarily - if you're working with two clients in the same industry you may fall foul of non-compete covenants in your contract. There are no additional insurance requirements.

Of course, if you're not acting as a company but are thinking of taking on FTC employment the matters will be entirely different.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Yes

Not necessarily - you are not obligated to inform your clients that you work with other clients but you do need to ensure you manage expectations around delivery timelines and your availability. You should check the contract to make sure it doesn't expect exclusivity.

Not necessarily - if you're working with two clients in the same industry you may fall foul of non-compete covenants in your contract. There are no additional insurance requirements.

Of course, if you're not acting as a company but are thinking of taking on FTC employment the matters will be entirely different.
      Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

Comment

So my queries
        Specific clauses in your current contracts notwithstanding:
        1. Yes
        2. No
        3. No
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Specific clauses in your current contracts notwithstanding:
          1. Yes
          2. No
          3. No
          I nearly did that but this is in the professional forum...

#oneruleformods

Comment

I’ve had 2 full time, 1 20 hour a week + another support contract all at the same time

Tell them nothing - fill your boots

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

1/ Yes - it's great until the "part-time" one demands more
              2/ No - if they contractually say you can't, that's sounding more like a contract of employment.
              3/ No - you're simply operating contracts for YourCo in parallel.

Sounds great until you're burning yourself out working 70 hours a week every week.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Since working from home, there has been availablility and spare time of not travelling to office

What's your experience or issues facing to work for two contracts/clients at same time dedicating time and working from home?

- Manager of 1st company is verbally happy with using spare time as long as work is not impacted.
                - Haven't spoken to second company on the topic yet
                - Both contracts are on time and cost & deliverable basis, so they don't care as long as deliverables are achieved.

So my queries
                On the assumption that you are running a business (IE. a LTD. company), then of course you can. In fact you have a legal responsibility to maximise the profit for your shareholders so to not do so is the wrong course of action.
                Everyone else has basically told you you can. So I'll add a bit more that you should consider.

1) Have you the skills and capacity to meet the known requirements of both clients?
                2) Have you verified there is no conflict of interest if you work for both clients?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I nearly did that but this is in the professional forum...

#oneruleformods
                  Nah, you'd have gotten away with it as well.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    On the assumption that you are running a business (IE. a LTD. company), then of course you can. In fact you have a legal responsibility to maximise the profit for your shareholders so to not do so is the wrong course of action.
                    Everyone else has basically told you you can. So I'll add a bit more that you should consider.

1) Have you the skills and capacity to meet the known requirements of both clients?
                    2) Have you verified there is no conflict of interest if you work for both clients?
                    1. Yes
                    2. One contract exclusively says you can work in other tasks. The other one doesn't say anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X