• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment dispute company in the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment dispute company in the US

Could anyone suggest a lawyer in the UK or US that could mediate a payment dispute in the US.
    My company is resgitered in the UK, I am a contractor. Worked for the company for 10years, never had a problem with payments until now. They own me 5 month worth of work and I am not sure how to go about t. In the UK I was told to seak help in the US...

can anyone help?

Originally posted by JackUK View Post
    Could anyone suggest a lawyer in the UK or US that could mediate a payment dispute in the US.
    My company is resgitered in the UK, I am a contractor. Worked for the company for 10years, never had a problem with payments until now. They own me 5 month worth of work and I am not sure how to go about t. In the UK I was told to seak help in the US...

can anyone help?
    What does the contract say about jurisdiction?

Comment

Have they written to you to inform you why they haven't paid you / why they don't intend paying you?

Is the debtor an Agency, or are you contracting as a Limited Company direct with your client?

If the contract jurisdiction is in the USA, it's going to cost you loads to engage a lawyer there, to represent you whilst you are based here...

If your client has filed for Chapter 11 protection, then you stand to (most likely) lose it all, since YourCo. will just be a (small) concurrent creditor.

Chapter 11 - Bankruptcy Basics | United States Courts

If they are just "ducking their Creditors", ditto.

5 months owed could be $5000 or $50000 or $500000 - each of these amounts will reflect a different approach...

IANAL / IANYA
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        Have they written to you to inform you why they haven't paid you / why they don't intend paying you?

Is the debtor an Agency, or are you contracting as a Limited Company direct with your client?

If the contract jurisdiction is in the USA, it's going to cost you loads to engage a lawyer there, to represent you whilst you are based here...

If your client has filed for Chapter 11 protection, then you stand to (most likely) lose it all, since YourCo. will just be a (small) concurrent creditor.

Chapter 11 - Bankruptcy Basics | United States Courts

If they are just "ducking their Creditors", ditto.

5 months owed could be $5000 or $50000 or $500000 - each of these amounts will reflect a different approach...

IANAL / IANYA
        contracted as a Limited Company. I was told about the cost, atm sending emails to mediators in the US.
        if someone here could suggest a lowyer or company that deals with this kind of things.

Comment

contracted as a Limited Company. I was told about the cost, atm sending emails to mediators in the US.
          if someone here could suggest a lowyer or company that deals with this kind of things.
          Safe Collections would give you reasonable advice. They deal with some overseas debts. Not sure about US.

Comment

It depends on the jurisdiction and governing law in your contract, but I assume it’s a US state. In that case, you’d be best to hire a corporate collection agent in the relevant US state and I doubt anyone here could help you with such a specific recommendation.

Comment

Linklaters have a very good USA rep.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
              X