• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Close and Reopen a New Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close and Reopen a New Ltd

Hi

Asking for a friend. I have been told that to separate oneself from any potential investigation re previous historical engagements (that did have IR35 contract reviews passed) it is recommended to close your ltd company and create a new one - there would be no tax advantage to this so isn't phoenixing, I don't think

Waste of time or valid approach? It's probably overthinking and belt n braces...

Thanks
    Martin

Originally posted by Henrik67 View Post
    Hi

Asking for a friend. I have been told that to separate oneself from any potential investigation re previous historical engagements (that did have IR35 contract reviews passed) it is recommended to close your ltd company and create a new one - there would be no tax advantage to this so isn't phoenixing, I don't think

Waste of time or valid approach? It's probably overthinking and belt n braces...

Thanks
    Martin
    Why is there no tax advantage?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Because obviously avoiding IR35 means ...

Oh...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Oh...
        I was thinking more of the VAT advantages from opening a new company.

If you passed previous reviews then there isn't an issue. Keep your evidence and keep going.
        It's more of an issue if you haven't got any evidence of being treated as a contractor or failed a review and ignored it. Or rather, if your friend did....
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Oh...
          Yeah avoiding being classed as inside is defo a tax advantage

Comment

I meant it wouldn't be done as a MVL, no personal or corp tax savings...
            Last edited by Henrik67; 29 June 2020, 21:16.

Comment

I meant it wouldn't be done as a MVL, no personal or corp tax savings...
              Is this related to your friend's QDOS review failing by any chance?

Comment

Is this related to your friend's QDOS review failing by any chance?
                No, that wasn't my friend that was me Independent things... I am just starting this gig and dont get paid till Aug so plenty of time to work out tax status - I have tried as hard as I can to get a Polish agency to include some IR35 friendly items in the contract....

Comment

No, that wasn't my friend that was me Independent things... I am just starting this gig and dont get paid till Aug so plenty of time to work out tax status - I have tried as hard as I can to get a Polish agency to include some IR35 friendly items in the contract....
                  Just ask QDOS what the substitution notice period required is to pass the review. I'm surprised that they haven't suggested the amendment.

Comment

Hi

Thanks
                    Martin
                    Be aware that HMRC have the chance to object to the closing of any limited co before it is actually closed. So...........

Comment

Working...
                    X