• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Furloughed during maternity leave but temp resource stays. Legal or illegal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furloughed during maternity leave but temp resource stays. Legal or illegal?

Hi, question about the legality of a situation.

So, my partner's friend is currently on maternity leave. When she was on leave, her company hired an ftc resource to cover for her.

Last week, the company put my partner's friend on furlough while expressing the intention of keeping the resource that was hired as her maternity leave cover.

Is this legal?

Maybe the company are being nice in keeping the temp working and a new mother away from the office where she could pick up something and affect her child?

It does sound to me like they're effectively keeping two people paid at a difficult time for jobs when they could let one go.

No idea if its legal or not. I suspect there isn't much precedent set over that yet.

Comment

Have her terms changed as a result?

When was she due to return to work, has this changed as a result?

Is any of this in writing? - If so, keep it. If not, get it and then keep it. Even if its a quick email along the lines of "Dear Boss, Just to confirm our conversation the other day... you said X, I said Y"

Does she have a union? If so, speak to them.

Do they have legal cover through insurance (home / other policy)? - relevant as they may need to informed / take their advise before she goes any further, otherwise they may say tough later on.

M

Comment

Sounds like a win win all round to me. What's the issue here?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm guessing here. Is the issue that she's getting 80% pay as furlough?

Comment

The issue seems to be that they are planning on letting her go (according to her but I'm not sure if they told her that already) and give her job to the person that was hired to cover during her mat leave.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              The issue seems to be that they are planning on letting her go (according to her but I'm not sure if they told her that already) and give her job to the person that was hired to cover during her mat leave.
              Now that's completely different to the original scenario and there's very clear legalities around it.

Maternity leave - your options when it ends - Citizens Advice

Comment

SCRATCH EVERYTHING. Just spoke to my partner. She didn't give me the exact details (or more likely, I did't get them right)

My partner's friend had been back from maternity leave for a couple of months; so there was the 2 of them (her and the temp resource/cover) both working full time for these couple of months.

Only that NOW, my partner's friend has been put on furlough (and probably will be let go), while the temp resource is being kept working full time.

Comment

SCRATCH EVERYTHING. Just spoke to my partner. She didn't give me the exact details (or more likely, I did't get them right)

My partner's friend had been back from maternity leave for a couple of months; so there was the 2 of them (her and the temp resource/cover) both working full time for these couple of months.

Only that NOW, my partner's friend has been put on furlough (and probably will be let go), while the temp resource is being kept working full time.
                  Now that isn't right. She can't be sacked/let go without a reason and they can't make her position redundant if someone else is doing it.

I also thought it's too late to be put on furlough now?

Raises more questions about what reason they will use to let her go and all that but as this is another drip feed thread I'd suggest she goes and has a consultation with an employment lawyer fairly promptly. It's going to be about the details and those are in short supply here.

BTW.. They must have cojones of steel to think they can get rid of a new mother straight after maternity in the middle of an epidemic... or are bordering on incompetent. Should be easy to sort out.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It depends how long she has worked there. If it's less than 2 years she has no rights.

Comment

Working...
                    X