• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-resident tax status and coming back to the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Why would anyone come back to UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Good question. But I am..............
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      And here is the crux of the matter, if all these questions were about some wheeze to avoid paying tax anywhere, he’s in for a shock.

But he won’t admit that, instead spin out some story with vague answers, avoiding the truth.
      No there is no "spin" here. I plan to work remotely from an EU country. As simple as that. I don't need to give you all details, do I?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        If you don't stay away for a full year, then your earnings will probably be taxed but they will take into account tax paid in the country you were working remotely, so you won't pay the full rate.
        One of the automatic overseas residence tests is: If you work full time overseas and you spend fewer than 91 days in the UK and you work in the UK for fewer than 31 days

Would a work done remotely for a UK company qualify under this rule? I plan to work remotely most of the time, and work in the UK fewer than 31 days, and be here fewer than 91 days.

Would that make me pass this test?

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
          I will need to know what happens from a tax point of view if I decide to come back to the UK after some time?
          Depends

For example, to consider something not mentioned so far (as I perused the other comments in a half-arsed way ) then, yes, you may be fully taxable in the UK on any dividends received overseas from a UK company or capital gains received on UK assets that accrued in the UK within the tax year of your return, assuming you return within five years (to simplify the actual anti-avoidance rules a little).

Bottom line, it's complicated, it depends on the facts, it depends on your situation, any you cannot keep asking variants of the same question here and struggling in the way you are struggling. You need professional help and you will need to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Depends

For example, to consider something not mentioned so far (as I perused the other comments in a half-arsed way ) then, yes, you may be fully taxable in the UK on any dividends received overseas from a UK company or capital gains received on UK assets that accrued in the UK within the tax year of your return, assuming you return within five years (to simplify the actual anti-avoidance rules a little).

Bottom line, it's complicated, it depends on the facts, it depends on your situation, any you cannot keep asking variants of the same question here and struggling in the way you are struggling. You need professional help and you will need to pay for it.
            Spot on, yes.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
              One of the automatic overseas residence tests is: If you work full time overseas and you spend fewer than 91 days in the UK and you work in the UK for fewer than 31 days

Would a work done remotely for a UK company qualify under this rule? I plan to work remotely most of the time, and work in the UK fewer than 31 days, and be here fewer than 91 days.

Would that make me pass this test?
              I would say you should be paying tax in the UK and in the country you work remotely. Sounds increasingly like you need two companies. Your UK Ltd and a foreign company. I had a split contract once where I had both a UK and a Luxembourg contract for one project. I only spent a few days in the UK but that was enough for this to be legal.

Contact Sue at IPAYE, it needn't be as complicated as it sounds but you should probably be doing this. As I mentioned before you could bill your UK Ltd from your foreign company for the work you do remotely.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ief-guide.html
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
              X