• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starling Bank questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starling Bank questions

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the contracting world after spending all my career as a PAYE and I've had a brilliant service using Maslins to help me get all setup as LTD company and put up with a few questions.

Whilst I'm happy with the service I'm always open to cutting costs wherever possible, I'm not yet ready to make the leap to sort things out myself but Starling's new service looks like it should pretty much do everything I need it to.

I searched the forum and used the old Google site search tip to see if it's been posted about before but I couldn't find any posts on it.

The service from Starling is Small business accounting toolkit - Starling Bank and it seems to do everything FreeAgent does and also connect to HMRC for filing. I'm already signed up to their business account and this service does look attractive to me, especially for the price.

So, a couple of questions, has anybody signed up to it? Is there an idiot's guide to follow which covers everything I need to consider if I were to cease services with my accountant and go it alone?

Cheers ??

Moved as you have specific questions regarding Starling Bank.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You haven't said how long you've been a contractor, but I'm assuming not very long. Sorry if that is incorrect, but if it isn't, a couple of points to consider:

1. Good accountants don't cost money.

2. Are you capable of managing the various arcane questions asked at year end on your CT return

3. Are you fully on top of payroll management and tax accountancy. FreeAgent is good but not infallible

4. How will will you manage HMRC igf a query is raised on anything?

5. You will probably need an accountant for your year end anyway. How would their one-off charge compare to a year's fees from a retained accountant?

Running before you can walk is probably unwise. At least wait until you've done the whole annual cycle before you try.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's £7 a month. For the same on line bank account from Nat West, called Mettle, it costs nothing and you get FreeAgent thrown in. Can't get a lot cheaper than nothing, can you? I am unaware of anything that Starling does that isn't matched by Mettle/Freeagent, perhaps there is something? But FreeAgent has the huge bonus of being very widely supported and thus portable.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Pampa View Post
          I'm new to the contracting world
          You might not think that you need an accountant but, trust me, you do. You have no idea what you don't know.

In terms of software, take your pick, based on what your accountant is comfortable working with. Personally, I think FreeAgent is excellent, so I wouldn't look elsewhere.

Nothing to do, imho.

Comment

FreeAgent + the free Starling account is a perfect combination IMO.
            If you ever open a second account with another bank (e.g. for savings or foreign currencies, or because you hit the FSCS limit) how would the Starling package handle that?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
              FreeAgent + the free Starling account is a perfect combination IMO.
              If you ever open a second account with another bank (e.g. for savings or foreign currencies, or because you hit the FSCS limit) how would the Starling package handle that?
              But then you'd be paying a monthly subscription for FreeAgent? When it's available for free with another on line challenger bank account?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                But then you'd be paying a monthly subscription for FreeAgent? When it's available for free with another on line challenger bank account?
                Included in my accountant's monthly fee.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                  Included in my accountant's monthly fee.
                  Ah, I see. I am thinking of those who DIY, admittedly that's minority here. Thanks.

Comment

It isn't that hard to DIY with FreeAgent. However, it would be pretty bold to do this without seeing a couple of cycles of all the relevant returns and, even then, you need to keep up-to-date with the legislation. An accountant seems like a very small outlay to reduce risk, but I can understand why some do it a few years in, assuming they enjoy that sort of admin. Doing this as a n00bie contractor is a bad idea imho.

Comment

Working...
                    X