Ltd Company wants to lease car but Accountant says No! Ltd Company wants to lease car but Accountant says No!
Posts 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8

    Default Ltd Company wants to lease car but Accountant says No!

    I've been fortunate that my Ltd company has been doing well and has saved up enough for a company car (electric of course for no BIKs) . Then I was IR35'd. Had a catch up chat with our Accountant and casually mentioned that the company has sufficient funds for a car on a lease but Accountant said no as HMRC might get the hump as there are no new sales coming into the Ltd. I'd not heard this before or even considered it. Is the Accountant right?

  2. #2

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
    I've been fortunate that my Ltd company has been doing well and has saved up enough for a company car (electric of course for no BIKs) . Then I was IR35'd. Had a catch up chat with our Accountant and casually mentioned that the company has sufficient funds for a car on a lease but Accountant said no as HMRC might get the hump as there are no new sales coming into the Ltd. I'd not heard this before or even considered it. Is the Accountant right?
    Your accountant is talking tosh. Do they hold out that a director is not supposed to take divis because there's no income coming in?!

    Thing to bear in mind is, taking out a lease for 3 or 4 years but winding your company up in say the next 12 months if you can only get IR35 caught contracts. Better to take a lease as a private individual, even leccie.

  3. #3

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    21,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    ... Better to take a lease as a private individual, even leccie.
    This.
    If you buy it through the Ltd and you want to close the Ltd down, you either have to buy the car out of the business lease, or return it (and potentially pay any penalties).
    There's a few threads on here about this kind of scenario.
    Check...Change...Go

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,788

    Default

    has sufficient funds for a car on a lease
    I'd be more worried about this. What does this mean? You only need a couple of K to get a car on lease. If that's all the funds your LTD has then he's absolutely right to warn you off getting it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'd be more worried about this. What does this mean? You only need a couple of K to get a car on lease. If that's all the funds your LTD has then he's absolutely right to warn you off getting it.
    +1

  6. #6

    Godlike

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    I’ve come up with a new idea (not really new but new to me).
    Since lockdown my car has done f*** all.
    In fact I might as well have SORNed it or sold it.

    So new plan in formation is to get rid. And simply hire when needed. That’s a fully claimable business expense (no BIK). Any personal travel will be done using the family’s one remaining car, or taxi.

    I reckon I’ll need maybe 6-8 weeks max in a year. That’s gonna cost less than leasing a car and without the financial commitment.
    See You Next Tuesday

  7. #7

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
    I've been fortunate that my Ltd company has been doing well and has saved up enough for a company car (electric of course for no BIKs) . Then I was IR35'd. Had a catch up chat with our Accountant and casually mentioned that the company has sufficient funds for a car on a lease but Accountant said no as HMRC might get the hump as there are no new sales coming into the Ltd. I'd not heard this before or even considered it. Is the Accountant right?
    I'm not sure about HMRC getting "the hump" because of no new sales. If the company has been non-trading for a while, then they maybe suggesting you come up with a reasonable business decision as to why the company would want to buy a car in case of any HMRC inquiry into the purchase. The answer is usually you can pretty much do anything in the company. The caveat is what are the tax implications of doing whatever you're doing and then for you to weigh up your options. If you want to get an electric company car, you can. Your accountant should/would then outline the tax implications.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •