• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

R&D Relief?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This link might help with the detail

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/gds/cird/atta...impleguide.pdf

Your accountant is probably best bet on what can and can't be claimed if you do want to go through with this.

I've had a look back and we've a number of threads on R&D which all come down to an discussion about whether it really is R&D and next to nothing going further in to what can be done which I think speaks volumes.

That's the best I can do sorry.
    Thanks for the link. The difficulty seems to be that as contractor salaries are generally low a few hundred hours of research is still very little expense to be claiming on and so not really worth the hassle, and hard to prove. I shall speak to my accountant again next week and try to understand his second company idea a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sosoomii View Post
      Thanks for the link. The difficulty seems to be that as contractor salaries are generally low a few hundred hours of research is still very little expense to be claiming on and so not really worth the hassle, and hard to prove. I shall speak to my accountant again next week and try to understand his second company idea a bit better.
      So he's suggesting instead of claiming your time and salary spent on this which is the normal way you will set up another company and invoice the nuts off the first company to claim more back.... I can't see how that would work for one minute. It's the most thinly disguised sham possible surely?

If you are going to claim for R&D which I don't think you are really doing then at least try and game the system properly. If you do get caught claiming R&D where it's not really R&D and then using some convulted system to get a more favourable outcome for your pocket you are going to get your pants pulled down big time.

But that's my opinion....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        So he's suggesting instead of claiming your time and salary spent on this which is the normal way you will set up another company and invoice the nuts off the first company to claim more back.... I can't see how that would work for one minute. It's the most thinly disguised sham possible surely?

If you are going to claim for R&D which I don't think you are really doing then at least try and game the system properly. If you do get caught claiming R&D where it's not really R&D and then using some convulted system to get a more favourable outcome for your pocket you are going to get your pants pulled down big time.

But that's my opinion....
        So like Amazon, with the UK co paying the Liechtenstein co? Seems plenty of evidence that Amazon’s actions are not only perfectly legal but good business practise. But I don’t think any savings would cover the cost of a second set of accounts in my case, so looks a non-starter.

Because you repeatedly imply that I am trying to pull a fast one I want to repeat for the avoidance of any doubt that I am not interested in making a bogus claim. But I would like to make legitimate tax savings where the govt are encouraging them and where I qualify for it. If my work doesn’t qualify I’m sure my accountant and HMRC will tell me. But I know what R&D looks like, I have done plenty of it for clients and in previous life as a permie.

Comment

So like Amazon, with the UK co paying the Liechtenstein co? Seems plenty of evidence that Amazon’s actions are not only perfectly legal but good business practise. But I don’t think any savings would cover the cost of a second set of accounts in my case, so looks a non-starter.

Because you repeatedly imply that I am trying to pull a fast one I want to repeat for the avoidance of any doubt that I am not interested in making a bogus claim. But I would like to make legitimate tax savings where the govt are encouraging them and where I qualify for it. If my work doesn’t qualify I’m sure my accountant and HMRC will tell me. But I know what R&D looks like, I have done plenty of it for clients and in previous life as a permie.
          Based on you rejecting the answers given freely so far, and your avoidance in answering questions, maybe just tell us the answer you want to hear.

Perhaps posting on Internet forums could count as research and be an expense, in your eyes?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Based on you rejecting the answers given freely so far, and your avoidance in answering questions, maybe just tell us the answer you want to hear.

Perhaps posting on Internet forums could count as research and be an expense, in your eyes?
            Which questions have I avoided answering??

I’m beginning to see why you guys are IT contractors - you lack the drive and imagination to be true businessmen and the social skills to work in a team. Cheerio.

Comment

Definitely maybe R&D. I appreciate that it is possible to wrongly classify product development as R&D but I’m confident in this case that the work is genuinely R&D.

Consider this example, which is similar but not my actual case:

You are an experienced aerodynamics professional running your own business providing contracting services to NASA, Boeing etc over the years. You have an idea (unproven) that might be a step forward in low speed flight and lead to better model aeroplanes.

Okay, it’s not the most important piece of tech in the world, but after you review countless text books, journals etc you confirm that this is a novel idea which has not previously been explored and the details of which are not readily obvious to a professional. If it works you will have the basis for the best model planes/gliders around and would hope to sell enough to make your money back in 3 years or so. If it doesn’t, it will still fly but be nothing special in an already crowded market. There is genuine uncertainty whether the idea has merit or even how to analyse the idea accurately, so new analytical techniques have to be developed and validated (by testing a prototype).

An IT example might be that you have a brainwave for a new spreadsheet app with novel features that you think has a big advantage over Excel. You’d have to do some work to develop the idea and satisfy yourself that it was better. I think I’d call that R&D rather than product development?

But as it is self funded the hours that go into it don’t really have a monetary value, so it doesn’t seem possible to,take advantage of the R&D relief on offer?
              Having done real R&D I would say this sounds very much like it, i.e. you're not just building a model aeroplane to a specification, you're applying a novel idea in aerodynamics to generally make model aeroplanes more efficient. This is not comparable with to building a piece of Software as suggested by the other posters.

I would go ahead as your accountant suggests. If he's satisfied then so will HMRC.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Having done real R&D I would say this sounds very much like it, i.e. you're not just building a model aeroplane to a specification, you're applying a novel idea in aerodynamics to generally make model aeroplanes more efficient. This is not comparable with to building a piece of Software as suggested by the other posters.

I would go ahead as your accountant suggests. If he's satisfied then so will HMRC.
                You can't rely on accountant's advice though. Accountant's opinion is just as valid as an opinion of a bloke that needs 50p down your local. If R&D was written with the intention to give tax breaks to big donor companies, then by claiming it for your small company you'll be stepping on someone's toes.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                    You can't rely on accountant's advice though. Accountant's opinion is just as valid as an opinion of a bloke that needs 50p down your local. If R&D was written with the intention to give tax breaks to big donor companies, then by claiming it for your small company you'll be stepping on someone's toes.
                    This is pretty clearly R&D, it will lead to a patentable idea.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 July 2020, 17:02.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                      This is pretty stupid even by your standards. I've made multiple R&D claims and HMRC never said, "No, no, it's only for bid donor companies."

They are LOOKING for better takeup of the credit. They (the Advanced Assurance department) told me so directly.

Comment

Working...
                      X