• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice Needed -Consultancy asking for expenses to claim them as their own

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A company claiming travelling expenses which they don't incur is fraud. The travelling expenses need to be passed on to the contractor.

I think this request should be refused. If they want to pay the travelling expenses, fair enough but this would be a financial disadvantage to the consultancy.

Your contract is with the agency not the consultancy, tell them to contact the agency. If you bill for expenses that are not paid then you can't claim them back from your company. Given a choice between submitting expenses that are not paid or take a cut, I would take the risk that they try to reduce your rate.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 July 2020, 10:31.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      A company claiming travelling expenses which they don't incur is fraud. The travelling expenses need to be passed on to the contractor.
      Re: "A company claiming travelling expenses which they don't incur is fraud. The travelling expenses need to be passed on to the contractor."

I don't think that's true - the wording on the contract between the consultancy and the company is ALL IMPORTANT.

For all you know, that contract may say something like " ... the supplier will be reimbursed by the company for expenses incurred by consultants supplied on provision of appropriate documentation (e.g. copies of receipts from the consultant)".

If it doesn't say in the contract (between the supplier and the company) that those expenses must have been reimbursed to the contractor, then that's not fraud - it's just sloppy wording in the (company/supplier) contract and profiteering by the supplier.

Under these circumstances, it's questionable ethically, but it's not out-and-out fraud.
      "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next ..."

Comment

Originally posted by dangerouswhensober View Post
        Re: "A company claiming travelling expenses which they don't incur is fraud. The travelling expenses need to be passed on to the contractor."

I don't think that's true - the wording on the contract between the consultancy and the company is ALL IMPORTANT.

For all you know, that contract may say something like " ... the supplier will be reimbursed by the company for expenses incurred by consultants supplied on provision of appropriate documentation (e.g. copies of receipts from the consultant)".

If it doesn't say in the contract (between the supplier and the company) that those expenses must have been reimbursed to the contractor, then that's not fraud - it's just sloppy wording in the (company/supplier) contract and profiteering by the supplier.

Under these circumstances, it's questionable ethically, but it's not out-and-out fraud.
        What?! You dont think claiming an expense you havent incurred and calling it an 'expense' isnt fraud?

Yes, the wording of the contract is important but the OP doesnt suggest in any way the contract is worded such. In actual fact, he suggest it isnt worded like this at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerouswhensober View Post

Yes it is tax fraud because expenses are not classified as income. Good maybe they are doing it, but it very dubious.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes it is tax fraud because expenses are not classified as income. Good maybe they are doing it, but it very dubious.
            like I said though. If you charge your client expenses you haven't actually incurred, then they are income in your own accounts. So no tax fraud.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              like I said though. If you charge your client expenses you haven't actually incurred, then they are income in your own accounts. So no tax fraud.
              I wonder if the consultancy has put some stupid statement in the contract like maximum expenses £x a day and then discovered it wasn't enough so need yours to even things out a bit.

Some of the gcloud rate cards a saw had that and you literally go - why did you put that in there.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes it is tax fraud because expenses are not classified as income.
                Depends on how the the expenses are dealt with. You may remember questions about VAT on expenses. If you charge the expenses on your invoice, you must also add VAT, and it's treated as income. Also, what Lance said.

The consultancy may, for example, have a contract with the client that says they will invoice (and therefore add VAT) for travel by their consultants by car at 70p* per mile, supported by a log of journeys carried out. Then, the OP can quite legitimately claim the mileage costs from his own company, and pass the mileage log to the consultancy to do what they will with it.

Really, the devil is in the detail of the consultancy's contract with the client. And that's none of the OP's business.

* This is somewhere around the region that the RAC calculate is the actual cost per mile for a 2.5 to 3.0l petrol engined car.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

We are making an assumption the consultancy is trying to reclaim the VAT which in the OP is not what is suggested. The agency may be paying yourCo a flat fee to cover expenses and day rate but then recover those expenses (minus the already claimed VAT) from the client. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    We are making an assumption the consultancy is trying to reclaim the VAT which in the OP is not what is suggested. The agency may be paying yourCo a flat fee to cover expenses and day rate but then recover those expenses (minus the already claimed VAT) from the client. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.
                    Indeed though it should be in the contract. However I suppose if the OP simply includes his mileage and expenses on the invoice there should be no problem and he wouldn't be out of pocket because they would be declared in his accounts as well.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Your contract is with the agency not the consultancy, tell them to contact the agency.
                      ^ This +1

We all know how "expenses recharged" on your contracting invoices go right?
                      1. Worker incurs expenses, submits it to their own ltd company, their ltd company reimburses the worker.
                      2. Ltd company invoices agency for £X plus VAT (can be whatever and not necessarily the original cost incurred)
                      3. Agency invoice the consultancy/end client the same £X plus VAT
                      4. Consultancy/end client settles the invoice and the "expenses recharged" money flows back to the ltd

Where we have step 2 missing from above as a result of not being agreed or there are no expenses, then whatever happens in 3 and 4 above is out of your control. I then refer back to BlasterBates's post above.

Comment

Working...
                      X