• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Change - Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Change - Advice Needed

Afternoon all.

I'l looking for some advice on my current contract.

For the last 9 months I've been on a contract, Inside IR35, on an hourly rate and all has been well. I've today found out that the agency will be transitioning me over to a new agency and they will pay differently ...

At the moment the hourly rate I get is subject to Employee NIC and TAX before it lands in my Ltd Company account. (Agency took care of Employers NIC etc)
    Going forward the new agency are also going to take Employers NIC and Apprentice Levy before also charging me a fee just to pay into my Ltd Company account.

Due to this the end client has agreed to up my rate slightly (Hourly rate has gone up 12.5%)

I am confused, however, on a few things.

1. Employers NIC is currently charged at 13.8% so I'm loosing out already by just getting a 12.5% increase
    2. The Apprenticeship Levy is 0.5% - is that before or after the 13.8% eNIC?
    3. Why am I paying the Apprenticeship levy when my Ltd Company will have an income far less than the £3m I believe is the current threshold - why am I having to pay it?

We are being given the option of Umbrella or PAYE but I don't really want to do that.

I do other work through my Ltd Company (WebDesign / Consultancy) that gets paid directly into the Ltd Company (That I don't draw a salary from, just my day job as a contractor)

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by StephenT View Post
    Afternoon all.

I'l looking for some advice on my current contract.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...nticeship+levy

Comment

You are incredibly lucky the agency allow you to work thst way. Puts them in the hook if you don't pay your taxes right.

So you are saying the new option is either PAYE or Brolly.... or is the new agency willing continue with the same arrangement as the old one?
      Last edited by northernladuk; 4 August 2020, 18:32.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers - but that thread doesn’t answer my question. I am getting charged the App Levy through my Ltd Company and am not going through an umbrella at all.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You are incredibly lucky the agency allow you to work thst way. Puts them in the hook if you don't pay your taxes right.

So you are saying the new option is either PAYE or Brolly.... or is the new agency willing continue with the same arrangement as the old one?
          Don’t feel lucky when I did the calculations earlier! Lol.

New option is Umbrella, PAYE or continue with my Ltd company. Continue with my Ltd company seems expensive as they are only giving me a 12.5% uplift to take into account eNIC (although that is 13.8%) and they are charging my the apprenticeship levy too (which I don’t think I should be paying). Finally there is also a 1.5% “admin” fee to pay my via my Ltd company.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenT View Post
            1. Employers NIC is currently charged at 13.8% so I'm loosing out already by just getting a 12.5% increase
            2. The Apprenticeship Levy is 0.5% - is that before or after the 13.8% eNIC?
            3. Why am I paying the Apprenticeship levy when my Ltd Company will have an income far less than the £3m I believe is the current threshold - why am I having to pay it?
            1. Yes you will be
            2. it's separate so on top of
            3. the levy is something the agency is paying already so they need to deduct it.

Personally the uplift isn't enough but I would ask how much can you put into a pension and if you can afford it use an umbrella company and put a significant percentage into a pension fund (it's just about the only benefit you get with an inside IR35 contract)
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Cheers all.

Comment

Is employer nic calculated at 13.8% on the entire amount? Also does it qualify for the employer nic allowance?

Not sure, ask an accountant but that could be the reason why the percentage is slightly different.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  Is employer nic calculated at 13.8% on the entire amount? Also does it qualify for the employer nic allowance?

Not sure, ask an accountant but that could be the reason why the percentage is slightly different.
                  Is employer nic calculated at 13.8% on the entire amount?
                  Not quite but not far off. It's 13.8% for everything above the weekly allowance of £166 and below £962 a week and 2% for everything above £962.

Also does it qualify for the employer nic allowance?
                  No - because the agency or umbrella will have already spent it.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                  X