• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I reuse SC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I reuse SC

Hi,

I joined a company last year which did my SC from nsv.mod.uk

I see some jobs securityclearedjobs.com asking for candidate who has security clearance. Would I be considered for those jobs? If not then why are they asking for someone with SC?

I remember reading that my SC is valid for 10 years.

Originally posted by user400058 View Post
    Hi,

I see some jobs securityclearedjobs.com asking for candidate who has security clearance. Would I be considered for those jobs? If not then why are they asking for someone with SC?

SC Clearance lapses after about 6-12 months if it hasn't been transferred to another department regardless of the expiry date, I recently had mine transferred and this was in the documentation that I read.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Hi,

It is - provided you are working in a suitable security environment for all that time and if you are a permie rather than a contractor. Otherwise it dies the day you leave the role you had it for but may - note, may - be carried over during the next 12 months.

But yes, agents are simple souls and will probably consider you to have SC clearance. They're wrong but let's not upset the little dears...

If only there was some discussion over this whole area and explanations for all the various gotchas and other questions that come up from time to time. Perhaps a sticky thread might be an option. Oh, hang on...

And as an aside, the existence of that website is in direct contravention of the Cabinet Office rules around advertising for work. For one thing, advertising you have clearance is a breach of your clearance conditions.,..
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You could try reading SC clearance thread

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...questions.html

It's long an messy but you'll find the answer to your question about when it's valid for pretty quickly.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've had my clearance remain valid for up to 12 months last use, and then be transferred to a new role, on more than 1 occasion.

They used to have a base validity as a contractor, for 5 years, but now it has increased to 7 years.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            And as an aside, the existence of that website is in direct contravention of the Cabinet Office rules around advertising for work. For one thing, advertising you have clearance is a breach of your clearance conditions.,..
            How else can I prove my SC?

Comment

Sorry?

You can't. It's a secret - or is supposed to be. Anyone that has a genuine need to know can ask the security team at your last employer or client where you needed it to perform the role.

But even if you can prove it, it doesn't mean that it will transfer to your new role. As has been said, many times. Clearance is with the role, not the person filling it. And some organisations - MOD being one - will not always accept SC from a commercial List-X company but will want to re-vet the applicant if they are successful.

But this has all been explained, several times. Have a read of the sticky, as we have already suggested. It's long, but most of key stuff is in the first few pages.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Simply stating where you worked should be enough.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Contrary to what some posters say, you might get a card which has your photo, states your name, level of security and expiry date.

You might also get a copy of the clearance certificate.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                    Contrary to what some posters say, you might get a card which has your photo, states your name, level of security and expiry date.

You might also get a copy of the clearance certificate.
                    And contrary to what some might say, such a card is of no use if you do not meet the criteria specified by the SSO at your new client... come to that I've had 10 SC-level roles, eight with HMG departments, and beyond the security pass - which had to be surrendered when I moved on - I've never had any documentation related to my clearance. The vetting agency do just that - test your application against their own criteria. If you pass, the local guys make the decision based on their own rules and risk assessments, not the vetting people.

As I keep saying, there are no absolutes: every case is pretty much treated on its own merits. There may be global parameters obviously, but the MOD don't pay as much attention to financial misdemeanours as the Police, for example.

And to be clear, most non-Departmental List-X clearances won't be accepted by Departments but they will, of course, be more than enough to get you past the agency's criteria.

So while I have no reason to disbelieve, Scruff's certification, it is by no means the norm.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X