• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compliance questions on Ltd company from agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I am new to contracting and have just got my first contract (before you say, yes I know probably worst time in history to go contracting ). The agency have asked me to fill out a compliance form which has a dozen or so questions, two of which are below:

1) I am a sole director and shareholder of my own personal service company.

2) I work for my company under a director's service agreement or employment contract, and the company operates PAYE and NIC on all my income and/or I pay tax on any dividends.

If I disagree with any of the questions, they're asking for an illustration showing the contractual chain between me and the agency and the distribution and taxation of payments I receive from the agency.

Are these questions normally asked by agencies?

My wife is also a director so I will have to disagree with question one, but am I really required to share with the agency how payments are distributed by the company? I don't see why it is any of their business? If I do have to provide it would my accountant be able to advise on what to send?

On question 2, I don't have an employment contract as I am a director not an employee so do I need to have a director's service agreement drawn up?

Thanks for any help.

Quite normal and that’s just the start of them - expect questions to see your high school certification, degrees, and police check some agents will not allow you to have your wife as director as obviously a tax dodge

You have found out if this contract has been classed as outside IR35 by the end client ? And you can prove that yourself?

Agent won’t care what you think, it’s their compliance they can ask you to jump 10 star jumps if they like

You can of course not comply

Then the contract will be withdrawn

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 8 August 2020, 19:23.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Quite normal and that’s just the start of them - expect questions to see your high school certification, degrees, and police check some agents will not allow you to have your wife as director as obviously a tax dodge

You have found out if this contract has been classed as outside IR35 by the end client ? And you can prove that yourself?

Agent won’t care what you think, it’s their compliance they can ask you to jump 10 star jumps if they like

You can of course not comply

Then the contract will be withdrawn

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Why is having a spouse as director obviously a tax dodge?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Why is having a spouse as director obviously a tax dodge?
        Because in his case maybe the wife is entirely fictitious and he assumes we are all like him?

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
          Because in his case maybe the wife is entirely fictitious and he assumes we are all like him?
          That would be a pretty elaborate scam for no obvious gain.

Comment

Working...
          X