• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella company: Employer's tax deductions document?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella company: Employer's tax deductions document?

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums this year as I am new to contracting.
    I have finally registered as I have question that I can't find answers to...

As a permanent employee, I would get a P60 at the end of the tax year which tells me how much employee taxes I have paid.

Is there an equivalent document from umbrella companies when they pay employer's taxes out of the money I'm bringing in?

Without a document like this, how would I know if an umbrella company is paying the correct amount of employer's taxes for me?

Thank you.

Originally posted by elr20 View Post
    Hello everyone,

As a permanent employee, I would get a P60 at the end of the tax year which tells me how much employee taxes I have paid.

Is there an equivalent document from umbrella companies when they pay employer's taxes out of the money I'm bringing in?

Without a document like this, how would I know if an umbrella company is paying the correct amount of employer's taxes for me?

Thank you.
    You should get that every week / month as the money from the agency is paid for you.

And Employer NI is like Employee NI a weekly / monthly tax so you don't need to look at it in yearly instalments as you do with a P60 and income tax.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

You should get a weekly/monthly payslip and then a P60 also at the end of the tax year.

Comment

Hi, thank you for the replies.

So I do have payslips for each week, and they show a line for "Employment Costs, Including Employer's National Insurance".

When I was a permanent employee my paylips showed the taxes removed each month, but I would still get a P60 which summarises it at the end of the tax year and makes it easy to see how much was paid, if it was overpaid, etc. I do understand what you mean though about a weekly tax vs a yearly.

So is it safe to say there is definitely no official yearly document that shows the total employers NI paid?
        I just need to keep an eye on it myself from each payslip?
        Am I right in saying it should be 13.8% on anything over £169.00? Or is it not as simple as that?

Sorry if I'm not explaining it well, I'm confusing myself more and more every time I think about it

Thanks.

Comment

Hi, thank you for the replies.

So I do have payslips for each week, and they show a line for "Employment Costs, Including Employer's National Insurance".

When I was a permanent employee my paylips showed the taxes removed each month, but I would still get a P60 which summarises it at the end of the tax year and makes it easy to see how much was paid, if it was overpaid, etc. I do understand what you mean though about a weekly tax vs a yearly.

So is it safe to say there is definitely no official yearly document that shows the total employers NI paid?
          I just need to keep an eye on it myself from each payslip?
          Am I right in saying it should be 13.8% on anything over £169.00? Or is it not as simple as that?

Sorry if I'm not explaining it well, I'm confusing myself more and more every time I think about it

Thanks.
          Above posts have already told you

You get a P60 from the umbrella

No it’s not easy as umbrellas make several deductions

Holiday pay, apprentice levy, employer Ni etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
          X