• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

paying someone BACS via credit card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paying someone BACS via credit card

So...

Last week I got scammed by some cowboy roofers, over 4k and I now have a badly leaking roof. I didn't act until it was too late. Caused no end of stress, actually lost weight.

Anywho, I paid the cowboys by BACS (yes, I know, I know), so trying to get it rectified it's going to cost another 4.5k to sort and this time (hey the brain cells have kicked in) I want to pay on credit card but new roofer only has Bank details, just spoke to my two cc companies there is no way of doing this.

Is there any way of insuring myself?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    So...

Last week I got scammed by some cowboy roofers, over 4k and I now have a badly leaking roof. I didn't act until it was too late. Caused no end of stress, actually lost weight.

Anywho, I paid the cowboys by BACS (yes, I know, I know), so trying to get it rectified it's going to cost another 4.5k to sort and this time (hey the brain cells have kicked in) I want to pay on credit card but new roofer only has Bank details, just spoke to my two cc companies there is no way of doing this.

Is there any way of insuring myself?

qh
    Find another set of roofers who will accept credit card payments....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Pay when the job is finished and signed off

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I don't know if a service like Billhop will help. You use them to pay into a bank account but the money comes off your credit card. I don't know if that means you do/don't get section 70 protection for the transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I don't know if a service like Billhop will help. You use them to pay into a bank account but the money comes off your credit card. I don't know if that means you do/don't get section 70 protection for the transaction.
          Cheers LM, will check this out.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            You don't - it's the same with paypal - section 70 disappears if the people you are paying don't take the payment directly...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Staged payments for building projects or GTFO.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                You don't - it's the same with paypal - section 70 disappears if the people you are paying don't take the payment directly...
                That's the bit I wasn't sure about

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Pay when the job is finished and signed off

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  This ^

We are getting our whole roof replaced in October and only paying once all done and happy.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
                    This ^

We are getting our whole roof replaced in October and only paying once all done and happy.
                    This ^

But I think its also fair for you to pay for any materials once they appear on site.

Comment

Working...
                    X