• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subsistence Allowance question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been asked before but new to the whole contracting business, I have a UK LLC that I use to invoice my client at the end of every month for the IT work I do.

The client is a UK based and registered company but all the work I carry out for the client takes place in Europe, (currently working a 6 on 3 off rotation) the client pre-pays for our accommodation in Europe so we don't pay for that, we do pay for our own food when we are away though, however…..as per the contract, they pay X day rate and then £36 a day subsistence allowance on top.

One the blokes I work with, his missus is his accountant, she said to me that we put the £36 a day (which is £1080 a month) through as an expense and that way it's not taxed, is this correct ?? as I spoke to another accountant who said no, if you spend £500 that month on food then £500 is an expense and the other £580 is taxable but he didn't really seem interested in talking to me tbh and just wanted to get off the phone.

This blokes missus also said you don't need receipts for subsistence allowance and referred to something about different countries having different allowances, Is that also true? I apologise if this is obvious but I haven't a clue

Thanks for the help.

HMRC rates a can be found at Expenses rates for employees travelling outside the UK - GOV.UK
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

His missus does the books, is different to his missus is an accountant.
      She’s the former.

You can’t claim tax back on something you’ve not actually incurred a cost for.
      There are simple rules. You should read the links to the right...
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        She’s the former.

She is a chartered accountant apparently according to her email signature and linkdin profile hence why I was confused by what she said and what other accountants have told me, she did send me this quote when I asked her if what she told me was correct but still wanted to hear from anyone who may have been through this before.

"In HMRC’s words:

“From 6 April 2019, employers will no longer be required to operate a system for checking an employee’s expenditure in order to make payments free of tax in relation to expenses paid or reimbursed using benchmark scale rates. Instead, employers will only be required to ensure that employees are undertaking qualifying travel on occasions in respect of which a payment is made or reimbursed and that neither the employer nor any other person knows or suspects or could reasonably be expected to know or suspect, that travel was not undertaken.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          She’s the former.

I do find it funny how many people continue to post rubbish after the actual details from hmrc have been posted - which are now very clear.

And the instructions are very clear you need some receipts to prove the person has been there but you don't need all of them so if some are lost or even "lost" provided it's just the scale allowance it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            I do find it funny how many people continue to post rubbish after the actual details from hmrc have been posted - which are now very clear.

And the instructions are very clear you need some receipts to prove the person has been there but you don't need all of them so if some are lost or even "lost" provided it's just the scale allowance it doesn't matter.
            Thanks

Comment

Surprised no one has mentioned he should in fact be paying the tax in the country he is working not UK tax

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                Surprised no one has mentioned he should in fact be paying the tax in the country he is working not UK tax

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                That was not the question that was asked and while that was also my immediate thought (and why I've never taken up any of the offers I've received) there isn't enough details to say if that is actually the case or that an overseas company is involved in the work.

And I've seen enough oil people on the Schiphol - teesside flights to know it's not worth worrying about it.

Comment

OK. OK. I'll take that on the chin.

I should have read your link.
                  I should not have assumed that my outdated understanding was still correct.
                  I should not post answers when drunk.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Handy! I've bookmarked that. Don't tend to travel for business overseas but, one day, Rodders...

Comment

Working...
                    X