• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    As for the 50+ brigade, we don’t all drive diesels.
    Indeed... how can we... The Porsche 911 doesn't even have a diesel option
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I doubt your figures that 99% of contractors on this forum meet your claim.
      I would also argue that if you can only accept a contract where there’s charging points near the client site, you’d be better off going perm.
      And the range of a car varies depending on the driving conditions. Sure it might do 200 miles (London to Leeds), not “the length of the country”, but the range drops if you go faster, or are chugging along in traffic with the aircon on.
      As for the 50+ brigade, we don’t all drive diesels.
      It's cool if you can't make it work, I could make it work though and think most could figure out how to use an ev charging map and find a rapid charger if they need it.

Comment

Thanks all for the replies - it has really given me some food for thought.

With regards to some of the general questions:
        • I am not worried about charging / car mileage. The 300+ range is more than adequate.
        • My current situation is that I shall be buying a car either way. Was originally looking at around £25k, hence that I am looking at this option
        • I didn't actually know about the less tax (CGT) when closing and liquidating your company, however I am not planning that for a long time yet

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        Yeah I think probably you should lease not buy but otherwise your assumptions are mostly correct as far as I know. You have to remember there is a huge premium for EVs, they are usually around 50% more expensive than diesel/petrol models which may discourage some people from purchasing them but with the 0% BIK every contractor who is looking to buy probably will go in that direction.

I picked up on something you said too, I am curious if you take out all the money in your company as dividends? That is not tax efficient you should consider only taking out 50k a year (salary + dividends) and stay in the basic tax bracket. You should model your lifestyle/household costs around this if you can. The rest of the money you can either put in a pension or leave in the company for when you are out of contract and/or when you are done contracting and liquidate the company where you can take it all out using ER at a low tax rate.

It hurts to take out any money at 32.5%, honestly if you're going to do that may as well just go for inside ir35 contracts and go through an umbrella.
        Just to confirm I only take up to the 50k a year and in the split you mention (salary + dividends). I currently have company money but looking into this option to tap into some of my company money

Comment

On another note - is there a general reason why most people lease instead of buying?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LateContractor View Post
            On another note - is there a general reason why most people lease instead of buying?

Thanks!
            Because people that lease would have to borrow to buy... So might as well lease.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Because people that lease would have to borrow to buy... So might as well lease.
              Rent things that depreciate in value, own things that appreciate in value.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LateContractor View Post

Thanks!
                Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                It's mostly this.

So either:-

1. People who don't have the money for a nice new car but they want nice new shiny things. Personal loans are expensive or they can't get a long, so they lease the car. Like getting the latest expensive phone on a £50/month contract. Then they complain about not being able to afford food/rent or whatever other essentials that then they tell say the government must provide.

2. Rich/clever people who don't want to drop £100k on a car because they can use that £100k in more productive ways, such as investments or to fund their businesses. Those investments/businesses then throw off enough profits to fund the lease of the £100k car.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  Map of charging points for electric car drivers in UK: Zap-Map

There are rapid chargers in every city. You don't need to plug in on site. That should cover 99% of contractors in this forum as most are not visiting remote sites/villages.

I know a lot of the 50+ crowd will never get rid of their diesel cars until they are forced to, but range anxiety isn't a valid reason anymore, especially when purchasing a 40k+ EV which will have a proper battery with good range. It's a small country, it's not like anyone is doing 500 miles a day. If they are then sure they can consider something else but that is less than 1% of people on this forum.

Having just done a couple of UK leisure trips with the ipace the electric car infrastructure is useless.

1. There are so many providers - I keep have to download and register account with new providers - genie, pod, chargemycar, hubsta, ecotricity etc etc. If signal is bad it takes ages to download app and register. so annoying. Shell is good - just swipe card.

2. So many places (not tesla) have one relevant charger - if some one is using it tough - just wait an hour !

3. So many chargers are not rapid - so pretty pointless - you are not going to stay at a service station or supermarket for 4 hours

4. So many machines I found were broken

So with broken machines and chargers being in use - I relied on outside plugs at lodges and hotels to do sneaky slow charges overnight.

Great for day to day / commute if you charge at home but needs much better charging facilities accesibility across the UK to get rid of range anxiety when travelling around the uk

Comment

Working...
                  X