• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone thinking of claiming Universal Credit during a prolonged Job Search

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone thinking of claiming Universal Credit during a prolonged Job Search

Just curious if any other contractors are things of (or already claiming Universal Credit) during this recession? Or are Ltd Co directors not allowed to do this. I searched through these forums and there doesn't seems to be much in the threads about it.

Some notes here which may be applicable to UC too, not sure

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/coronavirus-assistance/137610-claiming-jsa-my-experience.html

Comment

Don't know how you couldn't find many threads on it. PC has managed to destroy his reputation and lose any respect he might have by discussing this.

Bottom line is we don't known. PC claimed it but by his own admission the answers he gave might not have been totally accurate and they didn't ask him pertinent questions either. That was also a long time ago.

If you are just asking cause you fancy a bitnof pocket money in between gigs then don't bother.

If you are asking as times are extremely hard and are having to look at all options to keep afloat then go for it but don't bother asking on here. Get yourself booked in online and start the process ASAP.
      No one has yet come on here that's claimed it properly in recent times so you could be on your own.

Do tell us how it went though so other people can follow suit.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
        Just curious if any other contractors are things of (or already claiming Universal Credit) during this recession? Or are Ltd Co directors not allowed to do this. I searched through these forums and there doesn't seems to be much in the threads about it.
        Get a massive bounce back loan, you can have it for a year, sitting in your account if things get worse use that, if you get a contract pay it back

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Don't know how you couldn't find many threads on it. PC has managed to destroy his reputation and lose any respect he might have by discussing this.

Bottom line is we don't known. PC claimed it but by his own admission the answers he gave might not have been totally accurate and they didn't ask him pertinent questions either. That was also a long time ago.

If you are just asking cause you fancy a bitnof pocket money in between gigs then don't bother.

If you are asking as times are extremely hard and are having to look at all options to keep afloat then go for it but don't bother asking on here. Get yourself booked in online and start the process ASAP.
          No one has yet come on here that's claimed it properly in recent times so you could be on your own.

Do tell us how it went though so other people can follow suit.
          Once again NLUK, you're personal views on the matter seem to take priority here. Jeez - if you don't want to claim it then don't. But leave everyone else alone to do what they want.... You ain't gonna change the world just because you don't like it.

And destroy my reputation and lose any respect? Wow. what a statement to make... With who exactly?

For the record, I didn't give any inaccurate or incorrect answers....I can't control what they ask me though.

OP - its been a few years, things may have changed a lot since I did it.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
            Pretty sure you still can;t backdate it. So no good thinking after 3 months "I'm skint". Its gone.....

A few years ago, I claimed twice. First time I was on the bench for a good 3 months and was glad I did it. Few quid to pay the mortgage.
            The time after I got a gig after a week. So I had all the hassle of filling in forms etc, going to Jobcentre, and ended up with £40 or something. BUT you never know how long its going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Once again NLUK, you're personal views on the matter seem to take priority here. Jeez - if you don't want to claim it then don't. But leave everyone else alone to do what they want.... You ain't gonna change the world just because you don't like it.

And destroy my reputation and lose any respect? Wow. what a statement to make... With who exactly?

For the record, I didn't give any inaccurate or incorrect answers....I can't control what they ask me though.

OP - its been a few years, things may have changed a lot since I did it.
              So you didn't declare all of your assets because you reckon you weren't asked the exact question?

@OP, go for it. I'm sure you've paid in enough over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                So you didn't declare all of your assets because you reckon you weren't asked the exact question?

@OP, go for it. I'm sure you've paid in enough over the years.
                If the assets are in the Ltd Co then they aren't, by definition, "his". I mean, that's kind of the basis of the whole thing and we all know that Ltd Co contractors sit in this weird place. If UC isn't set up to handle that, then I'm not sure what he did wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  If the assets are in the Ltd Co then they aren't, by definition, "his". I mean, that's kind of the basis of the whole thing and we all know that Ltd Co contractors sit in this weird place. If UC isn't set up to handle that, then I'm not sure what he did wrong.
                  Self-employment and Universal Credit - GOV.UK

Says not to count them on the link above but it wasn't so clear when it was JSA.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

BTW - there were no assets or money in the ltd when I claimed...

Comment

Working...
                    X