• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT "adjustment" from last year's accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT "adjustment" from last year's accounts

Accountants are saying I owe an extra 2K+in VAT as an adjustment following preparation of my y/e accounts for the year ended last October.

The accounts were done in February this year.

Am I entitled to be a bit peeved that -

1.I suddenly owe an extra 2K?
    2.They have taken so long to let me know?

I am using their online portal and everything has been kept up to date so I can't see how they can suddenly decide I owe £2K+.

I have asked for an explanation but wanted a reality check in case I just being an arse (or more of one than usual).

I realise it's still my responsibility to pay the right VAT but at the same time, I am paying (quite a lot) for them to do all the sums so I don't have to.

I'd also be peeved.
    You still owe the money so that's tough luck.

I assume you don't use FreeAgent and trust the accountants completely. That's a bad idea. So you can be peeved with yourself as well as the accountants.
    Sack them.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks - they are getting sacked as I am closing the company anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Thanks - they are getting sacked as I am closing the company anyway.
        Maybe worth naming the accountant. To help others out.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
          Maybe worth naming the accountant. To help others out.
          SJD - I don't think they have a great rep on here to start with.

Comment

Friends of mine are with SJD and say the quality of the service over the years has plummeted.

Once Mr Dolan left and took his spreadsheet to Monaco, it all went down hill.

Comment

but doesn't the spreadsheet calculate the VAT for you?
              It always used to, before I sacked them for being over-priced, and tulipe.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Friends of mine are with SJD and say the quality of the service over the years has plummeted.

Once Mr Dolan left and took his spreadsheet to Monaco, it all went down hill.
                And now Mr Dolan has become a Covid fruitloop. Funny old world.

Comment

second that, SJD totally useless, missed an entire year of payroll for my wife, late filing penalty as they all went on holiday december, stacked expenses into a directors account to the tune of 23K , took me 2 years to get it down, missed VAT Incorrectly calculated VAT , you name it.

also had the "you did not pay vat in the last QTR of the FY" liability popup, ahem, yes I did, the year end liability is paid 1 month +7 days after the year end , so that's why you did not see it in submitted figures for that FY, cue a 12+ month waltz of VAT liability adjustments with SJD, VAT and me, they're worse than useless

Get rid of them
                  Last edited by barely_pointless; 5 September 2020, 09:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    but doesn't the spreadsheet calculate the VAT for you?
                    It always used to, before I sacked them for being over-priced, and tulipe.
                    There's an online portal now - but updates to it seem to occur on a random basis.

Comment

Working...
                    X