• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the netherlands, UK Tax resident

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in the netherlands, UK Tax resident

Hi all,
    Apologies if this has been covered already, but I could not find much advice. I moved the NL to work for a dutch company in 2019. Post covid, I came back to the UK in July 2020 being now a remote worker. For the next tax year I'll be a UK tax resident but still employed by the dutch, being paid in a dutch bank account.

The question is, who do you use to help with taxes? I am client of a very well known contractor tax firm here (not sure if I can say the name, so, threading lightly) but they have been a bit unsure about how to do this.

I have checked with tax advisers that quoted very high sums (around 1k) for a self assessment. I will be very grateful if anyone, here here or via PM could share experiences working with different tax advisers that are used to the continent and/or NL specifically.

thanks

You need to be careful. Normally if you were to commute to the Netherlands you would be liable for tax in the Netherlands and then you declare your earnings and the tax you've paid in the Netherlands. The tax paid in the Netherlands would be deducted from your UK tax liability. However as a remote worker actually working in the UK you shouldn't be taxed in the Netherlands. You need to take advice. The problem is because remote working is now the new norm you can probably expect HMRC to enquire if you have been working remote when you submit a tax return. They may well then ignore any tax you paid in the Netherlands and tax your income in full in the UK.

Rather than waiting for this and then claiming tax back from the Netherlands which would be very long and arduous I would advise setting up as a UK Ltd and billing the client from the UK.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
    X