• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Business Banking Options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
    Yes it's absolutely essential so that when I am 3 days into a holiday and they block my debit card because of irregular transactions, I can pick up the phone and ask somebody to sort it out.
    To be honest, you'll struggle to find a reputable modern bank that has prompt customer service over the phone. The challenger banks such as Starling and Monzo tend to have fabulous and responsive customer support via in-app chat, and furthermore, these modern banks tend not to be taken by surprise when you spend money abroad, so I think in practice you'd find your card not getting blocked in the first place!

If you really want antiquated phone banking, then you're stuck with one of the legacy dinosaur banks. I can't recommend any of them; all the ones I've used have been crap.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
      To be honest, you'll struggle to find a reputable modern bank that has prompt customer service over the phone. The challenger banks such as Starling and Monzo tend to have fabulous and responsive customer support via in-app chat, and furthermore, these modern banks tend not to be taken by surprise when you spend money abroad, so I think in practice you'd find your card not getting blocked in the first place!

If you really want antiquated phone banking, then you're stuck with one of the legacy dinosaur banks. I can't recommend any of them; all the ones I've used have been crap.
      Modern is all fine and dandy when it works. I had previously praised Revolut, but they are impossible to contact if you need to speak to a human in real time. I have an active complaint against them now. There was a problem with my account and I unknowingly closed it in the interim. Trying to contact them after closing an account is simply impossible. Trying to rescue my account access via the app simply doesn't work. None of the public facing email addresses are ever answered. The publicly available phone numbers are only there to report a lost card. No humans, ever. Revolut have even sent the regulator a supposed reply to my complaint they allegedly sent to me but never arrived. They owe me about £160 and I cannot contact anyone at Revolut to do anything about it. I guess all on line finance companies are the same. They're just fine until something out of the ordinary happens. Then you're basically stuffed. Just be careful.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Some accountants have access to your company bank account which can be a help. I know Cater Allen has this relationship with SJD.

Comment

I have a Monzo account that I only use for holidays. I like to keep overseas spending separate from my day to day accounts. Never had an issue with it, even in more challenging places like Cuba.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Modern is all fine and dandy when it works. I had previously praised Revolut, but they are impossible to contact if you need to speak to a human in real time. I have an active complaint against them now. There was a problem with my account and I unknowingly closed it in the interim. Trying to contact them after closing an account is simply impossible. Trying to rescue my account access via the app simply doesn't work. None of the public facing email addresses are ever answered. The publicly available phone numbers are only there to report a lost card. No humans, ever. Revolut have even sent the regulator a supposed reply to my complaint they allegedly sent to me but never arrived. They owe me about £160 and I cannot contact anyone at Revolut to do anything about it. I guess all on line finance companies are the same. They're just fine until something out of the ordinary happens. Then you're basically stuffed. Just be careful.
            Yes, as I've already said being able to pick up a phone and talk to somebody who speaks coherent English without a prolonged wait is my main criterion here so I will definitely be giving these new fangled outfits a miss.

Looks like Cater Allen for me then.

Comment

Yes, as I've already said being able to pick up a phone and talk to somebody who speaks coherent English without a prolonged wait is my main criterion here so I will definitely be giving these new fangled outfits a miss.

Cater Allen and SJD - the 90's have called and you are going to regret it.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

After my previous good experience with Revolut went very, very sour, being able to call a human in real time is now top of the list of my needs too. The convenience and integrations the new platforms offer is great. All for it. But that's no good when you experience something way out of the ordinary as I have with Revolut. They don't have a mature enough system to cope with the rare, very unusual occurrence.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Some advice for you.

Don’t forget about Business Savings Accounts.

Sure.. use Cater Allen if you want for day to day business banking, but you won’t get any interest, so put your war chest somewhere else.

I use Aldermore for business savings. Interest rates are rubbish, but £30-£50 a month over the years should not be ignored. Its basically paying for my company insurance.

I have an instant access account. You get slightly better rates if you tie your money in, but given IR35.. never know when you might need to close your business down.
                  Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 11 September 2020, 09:00.

Comment

Cater Allen undergoing a major upgrade this weekend, including faster payments and a new web portal.

Personally, I would recommend CA. Not sure about phone banking though.

I use Aldermore for business savings. Interest rates are rubbish, but £30-£50 a month over the years should not be ignored. Its basically paying for my company insurance.
                    You are keeping on average circa £60k in the company account?
                    Last edited by unixman; 11 September 2020, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      Cater Allen undergoing a major upgrade this weekend, including faster payments and a new web portal.

Personally, I would recommend CA. Not sure about phone banking though.

You are keeping on average circa £60k in the company account?
                      Just the fact they are finally implementing something that most other outfits have had for a long time speaks volumes IMO. Just because it's shiney and new isn't always a positive thing in the greater picture.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X