• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Business Banking Options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Business Banking Options

I need to open a new business account and was looking for some recommendations. Highest priority is quick, efficient phone banking. I've been with a high st bank for 20 years now & the service has got to be dreadful - long queues to talk to somebody on the other side of the world who may/may not have sufficient grasp of the English language.

So, British / European call centre (during business hours) and decent online banking experience are my main drivers. Thanks for any recs.

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
    I need to open a new business account and was looking for some recommendations. Highest priority is quick, efficient phone banking. I've been with a high st bank for 20 years now & the service has got to be dreadful - long queues to talk to somebody on the other side of the world who may/may not have sufficient grasp of the English language.

So, British / European call centre (during business hours) and decent online banking experience are my main drivers. Thanks for any recs.
    Do you specifically want phone banking rather than app/online? That's a bit of a curious requirement these days.

I would recommend Starling which is entirely online. Super smooth app-based setup, very efficient. You never need to phone them.

Comment

If Phone Banking is your requirement, Cater Allen have never had any wait time.

That said, of course they are online too...?

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        If Phone Banking is your requirement, Cater Allen have never had any wait time.

That said, of course they are online too...?
        Have they pulled their finger out? They've been panned for many years for their poor service on here, trustpilot and many other places.

OP.. Have a look at the other posts we have asking this question. Some of the posts go back years so might have to look for the most recent ones as the new challenger banks are offering some good options.

best bank site:contractoruk.com/forums - Google Search
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Have they pulled their finger out? They've been panned for many years for their poor service on here, trustpilot and many other places.

OP.. Have a look at the other posts we have asking this question. Some of the posts go back years so might have to look for the most recent ones as the new challenger banks are offering some good options.

best bank site:contractoruk.com/forums - Google Search
          Not many (any?) of the challenger banks have a call centre.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
            Do you specifically want phone banking rather than app/online? That's a bit of a curious requirement these days.

I would recommend Starling which is entirely online. Super smooth app-based setup, very efficient. You never need to phone them.
            Yes it's absolutely essential so that when I am 3 days into a holiday and they block my debit card because of irregular transactions, I can pick up the phone and ask somebody to sort it out.

Furthermore - it would be nice to bank with somebody whom I could call to flag a forthcoming trip abroad so that my card doesn't get blocked in the first place. When I suggested this to an operative on the Barclays call centre they said this wasn't possible. (I know this is personal ac related but I'll be transferring that account too)

Comment

Yes it's absolutely essential so that when I am 3 days into a holiday and they block my debit card because of irregular transactions, I can pick up the phone and ask somebody to sort it out.

Furthermore - it would be nice to bank with somebody whom I could call to flag a forthcoming trip abroad so that my card doesn't get blocked in the first place. When I suggested this to an operative on the Barclays call centre they said this wasn't possible. (I know this is personal ac related but I'll be transferring that account too)
              Your business debit card really isn't for day to day personal expenses - it's for business expenses.

And the solution to your issue is actually very simple, have a spare account or 3 for the times you are abroad and have a problem.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Your business debit card really isn't for day to day personal expenses - it's for business expenses.

And the solution to your issue is actually very simple, have a spare account or 3 for the times you are abroad and have a problem.
                I did say in my post: "I know this is personal ac related but I'll be transferring that account too".

It's getting to be a real bugbear of mine finding that my card has been blocked at the most inconvenient time. Banks should have a mechanism for you to be able to flag up any foreign trips etc - I'm sure years ago I just used to call my local branch.

Yes, I can carry a credit card or have another checking account at my disposal but that's not the point.

Comment

I did say in my post: "I know this is personal ac related but I'll be transferring that account too".

It's getting to be a real bugbear of mine finding that my card has been blocked at the most inconvenient time. Banks should have a mechanism for you to be able to flag up any foreign trips etc - I'm sure years ago I just used to call my local branch.

Yes, I can carry a credit card or have another checking account at my disposal but that's not the point.
                  It actually is the point as I'm sure you would be the first person to complain if your card was cloned and Barclays said sorry we won't do anything about it because you authorised the removal of our fraud prevention checks.

Unless you are completely stupid, you should operate on the basis that the only backup plan worth having is complete redundancy so always have secondary accounts (which when abroad will save you a fortune in exchange rate fees as well).
                  Last edited by eek; 10 September 2020, 14:11.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I was not aware this wasn’t standard, been completing the ‘taking your card abroad’ bit of HSBC online for at least a decade now and never had issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X