• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self assessment dividend question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I'm coming to do my self assessment for 2019/20. I am a director of my own company, so I've paid myself dividends periodically.

I paid myself a small dividend at the end of that year although I just realised I paid it after my self assessment year end (by 30 days). This means it will now be accounted for in my 2020/21 self assessment.

Is there any way I can ensure it'll be accounted for in the 2019/20 self assessment year when I meant it to be, or does it have to be accounted for in the year it was paid?

Thanks

No

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Yes. The payment date, and the dividend declaration date can be different. The minute in which you declare the dividend will have the date of the declaration. This is all subject to the usual rules surrounding dividends.

A journal entry

Debit "Dividend Paid"
      Credit "Shareholders for Dividend"

With the amount.

On payment, allocate the payment to "Shareholders for Dividend".
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Yes

No.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chomps View Post
          Hi,

I'm coming to do my self assessment for 2019/20. I am a director of my own company, so I've paid myself dividends periodically.

I paid myself a small dividend at the end of that year although I just realised I paid it after my self assessment year end (by 30 days). This means it will now be accounted for in my 2020/21 self assessment.

Is there any way I can ensure it'll be accounted for in the 2019/20 self assessment year when I meant it to be, or does it have to be accounted for in the year it was paid?

Thanks
          What does your dividend document say? The declaration date is the date that it counts for self assessment tax purposes. The dividend payment date is the earliest date it can be paid which can be either the same date as the declaration date or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            Yes. The payment date, and the dividend declaration date can be different. The minute in which you declare the dividend will have the date of the declaration. This is all subject to the usual rules surrounding dividends.

A journal entry

Debit "Dividend Paid"
            Credit "Shareholders for Dividend"

With the amount.

On payment, allocate the payment to "Shareholders for Dividend".
            Debit Dividends, Credit DLA

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
              Debit Dividends, Credit DLA
              What if the Director isn't a Shareholder? [emoji12]
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                What if the Director isn't a Shareholder? [emoji12]
                Then you'd be correct. I was just stating it for the benefit of the OP that's all.

Comment

As others have said, the declaration date is what matters. A delay in payment is just a matter of accounting w/r to the DL account.

Don't try to edit your dividend paperwork retrospectively.

Comment

Originally posted by chomps View Post
                    I paid myself a small dividend at the end of that year
                    If it's genuinely only a small dividend, then just leave it in this year.

If you're being economical with the truth, then other posters have offered you the right advice.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X