• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is business car insurance taxable as BIK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    If you have a business lease and you close your company, the car goes back and your company will probably have to pay some kind of penalty for stopping the lease early.
    You end up with no car.

If you want to transfer the car to personal ownership, you'll need to stop your business lease and then start a personal lease - it might not be at the same rate + VAT, etc.

There's several threads on here about it.
    It is a 2 year lease. What reason would I have for closing down the company?

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
      Corp tax going up
      IR35
      Market downturn
      Change in personal circumstances
      ...etc
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Have to resurrect this thread.

I have opted for going for personal cover rather than business cover (as business is more expensive).

Can the company reimburse me for car insurance in this case? (Car is registered to the business and I am the director) If it can - is there BIK attached? Any links to info would be useful - I have tried googling

Comment

I have opted for going for personal cover rather than business cover (as business is more expensive).

Can the company reimburse me for car insurance in this case? (Car is registered to the business and I am the director) If it can - is there BIK attached? Any links to info would be useful - I have tried googling
          You really don't understand what a BIK is, do you...

Put it this way - would you expect Tesco to reimburse you for the costs of driving to their store to do your shopping?

And I assume your insurance covers business usage - not just commuting - which is reflected in the premium...

But yes, YourCo can reimburse you and yes, it would attract personal tax at your highest marginal rate as though it were earned income, because that is what it is.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

We've had enough threads in here with people getting caught short.

Rather odd question with the market in utter turmoil and the IR35 changes coming up.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 21 October 2020, 12:25.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Let's get this right, you got the car through your company, but you're not going to use it for company activities.

No, you can't claim PERSONAL insurance through your business, it's not a BIK, it's a personal cost. You have to pay 100% of it.
              You might find your company lease on the car will specify the type of insurance you need to have. You might also find buying/leasing something for the company but using it exclusively for non-company activities might be considered fraud.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Let's get this right, you got the car through your company, but you're not going to use it for company activities.

No, you can't claim PERSONAL insurance through your business, it's not a BIK, it's a personal cost. You have to pay 100% of it.
                You might find your company lease on the car will specify the type of insurance you need to have. You might also find buying/leasing something for the company but using it exclusively for non-company activities might be considered fraud.
                The lease agreement asks for a fully comprehensive insurance which is what this is. It's not used exclusively for non-company activities? It's used for both personal and company activities. That's allowed.

It is a vehicle registered to the business. To use this vehicle for going to meetings this vehicle MUST be insured. How can you say that it's not expensable? That's nonsense. Expenses if you're self-employed: Car, van and travel expenses - GOV.UK
                Last edited by cannon999; 21 October 2020, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  We've had enough threads in here with people getting caught short.

Rather odd question with the market in utter turmoil and the IR35 changes coming up.
                  I still don't understand your point? The company has enough money to maintain the car for 2 years. What's the reason behind not getting a lease again?

Comment

The lease agreement asks for a fully comprehensive insurance which is what this is. It's not used exclusively for non-company activities? It's used for both personal and company activities. That's allowed.

It is a vehicle registered to the business. To use this vehicle for going to meetings this vehicle MUST be insured. How can you say that it's not expensable? That's nonsense. Expenses if you're self-employed: Car, van and travel expenses - GOV.UK
                    Oh the joys of HMRC lumping multiple things together and then not providing links to the actual detail.

But you've missed 1 obvious flaw in your argument, a limited company is leasing the car so you are not self employed.

After that the devil is in the detail here as there are probably 1000+ pages of HMRC guidance related to this, so go and ask you accountant or go and find the complete guidance and read the appropriate section.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      You really don't understand what a BIK is, do you...

Put it this way - would you expect Tesco to reimburse you for the costs of driving to their store to do your shopping?

And I assume your insurance covers business usage - not just commuting - which is reflected in the premium...

But yes, YourCo can reimburse you and yes, it would attract personal tax at your highest marginal rate as though it were earned income, because that is what it is.
                      I don't own Tesco though do I? But I do own the business. I cannot drive the business vehicle without the insurance - it is a requirement of the business lease agreement (and a legal one). So to go to a business meeting - this vehicle has to be insured. This is why I am questioning any BIK due on insurance premiums because you can't separate business from personal here - it is a legal requirement to have the vehicle insured to drive it. Even if I drive it 3 times a year for business use - the price of the insurance wouldn't change.

Comment

Working...
                      X