• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is business car insurance taxable as BIK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It's funny how you don't know the difference between company and personal.

It's people like you that have caused the IR35 problems. Want the benefits of a business while refusing to act like one.
    I know the difference between company and personal. This is 20% company 80% personal. That equation may change to 50 50 later however even if this was 100% personal this is still legal, because I pay BIK on the vehicle. I don't think you have a clue about company cars so why are you even bothering with this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
      Yes but this isn't a scenario where I am a taxi driver or a delivery driver. I would be using the car to commute to work which is covered by pretty much any standard personal insurance out there
      Maybe but I'm still not comfortable with that. You have a company car, on a company lease. Generally you get a company car because you need it for business not because you need to commute to and from work. The clue is in the name. So you'd expect a company car to be used for company businesses what with it being a company asset. Just doesn't feel right that something bought to do business is insured on 'occasional business use'.

Insurance companies can be absolute tw*ts when it suits them so got to be super super careful.

If you've explained it to them and can't do anymore then I guess fill your boots.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Maybe but I'm still not comfortable with that. You have a company car, on a company lease. Generally you get a company car because you need it for business not because you need to commute to and from work. The clue is in the name. So you'd expect a company car to be used for company businesses what with it being a company asset. Just doesn't feel right that something bought to do business is insured on 'occasional business use'.

Insurance companies can be absolute tw*ts when it suits them so got to be super super careful.

If you've explained it to them and can't do anymore then I guess fill your boots.
        I have checked the policy - it says that the registered keeper is my company and owner is a leasing company.

Take-home vehicle - Wikipedia

A take-home vehicle, or company car is a vehicle which companies or organisations lease or own and which employees use for their personal and business travel.[1]

Comment

I have checked the policy - it says that the registered keeper is my company and owner is a leasing company.
          Shall we look at the T&Cs again now we have that knowledge

https://www.aviva.co.uk/frequently-a...q/answer/3069/

You asked: Do I have to be the registered keeper of all the vehicles?

You do not have to be the registered keeper of all vehicles, but the vehicles need to be (or will be) owned and registered by either: you, your spouse/civil/domestic partner, a close relative residing at the same address, your company or is the subject of a private or personal leasing contract.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother asking questions on this forum.
          So the car isn't owned by your company

And the lease doesn't meet the criteria of being a private or personal lease as it's a Business Lease.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Take-home vehicle - Wikipedia

A take-home vehicle, or company car is a vehicle which companies or organisations lease or own and which employees use for their personal and business travel.[1]
            But I thought you were self employed?

Comment

this thread is very tl;dr

but, am I missing something...
              If a person has a company provided car, the BIK on the car covers the car and it's insurance surely?
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

These are the rules for cars supplied to employees:

Expenses and benefits: company cars and fuel - GOV.UK

And Aviva have two very clear categories for company car insurance:

Business Car, Van & Commercial Vehicle Insurance - Aviva

And if you scroll down a bit:
                Why do I need Business Vehicle Insurance?

Business Vehicle Insurance – which is also known as commercial vehicle insurance – is a legal requirement in the UK, and protects you if you use your car or van for work-related purposes.
                People often think that standard personal vehicle insurance policies cover them for work too, but this isn’t the case. Standard policies don’t offer the same level of protection as Business Vehicle Insurance does – in fact, standard policies only cover you for social use and commuting.
                Business Vehicle Insurance covers a much wider range of uses than a standard vehicle insurance policy. With a commercial vehicle insurance policy, you’re protected if you travel between different locations for work, if you drive employees or colleagues around, use your van to commute to any place of work or if you use your vehicle for work – and anything else that you use the vehicle for on behalf of your business.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  this thread is very tl;dr

but, am I missing something...
                  If a person has a company provided car, the BIK on the car covers the car and it's insurance surely?
                  Yes, provided the company is purchasing and paying for the insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Yes, provided the company is purchasing and paying for the insurance.
                    I'm not sure why you'd do it any other way.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      I'm not sure why you'd do it any other way.
                      The only plausible reason is because the person doing it is a cheapstake who hasn't got a clue what they are doing...

Comment

Working...
                      X