• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is business car insurance taxable as BIK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is business car insurance taxable as BIK?

Yes I did ask the accountant.. this is just a confirmation to get a second opinion.

Two questions:

1. If I lease the car through the business and the business also pays the insurance - do I (the person who uses the car for business AND for personal use) have to pay BIK on the insurance element of it?
    2. Can I insure the company car myself (thus avoiding the tax complications)

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    Yes I did ask the accountant.. this is just a confirmation to get a second opinion.

Two questions:

1. If I lease the car through the business and the business also pays the insurance - do I (the person who uses the car for business AND for personal use) have to pay BIK on the insurance element of it?
    Go and see what proper accountants say Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? | AccountingWEB

So I think the answer is

1. Yes
    2. It won't help in any sane way.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Two questions:

To answer question 2: Yes, of course you can. The insurance will ask who the registered owner is, and you put down the name of your company.

It's similar to you owning a car, but the insurance is in your wife's name as the main driver.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Go and see what proper accountants say Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? | AccountingWEB

So I think the answer is

1. Yes
        2. It won't help in any sane way.
        Why would it not help? Business car insurance tends to be more expensive and my company paying for it means I am effectively paying more due to the BIK personal tax and company 1A NIC

Comment

Leasing a car through the company may not be the great idea you think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Leasing a car through the company may not be the great idea you think it is.
            It is for electrical cars, the BIK is 0%

Comment

It is for electrical cars, the BIK is 0%
              It's not if you think you might close your company down within the timeframe of the lease.

Nothing to do with BIK.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                It's not if you think you might close your company down within the timeframe of the lease.

Nothing to do with BIK.
                I am not sure what you mean

Comment

I am not sure what you mean
                  If you have a business lease and you close your company, the car goes back and your company will probably have to pay some kind of penalty for stopping the lease early.
                  You end up with no car.

If you want to transfer the car to personal ownership, you'll need to stop your business lease and then start a personal lease - it might not be at the same rate + VAT, etc.

There's several threads on here about it.

Comment

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2666336

Comment

Working...
                    X