• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've (finally) ****ed up doing my own accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Bring cake please
    With a file in it?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      With a file in it?
      If he had files he wouldn't have made this mistake.

If you visit him and forget the cake just tell him you gave it to Mrs SimonMac to bring....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Just about to hit my 10 year anniversary of doing my own books and I've finally made a mistake with my VAT returns, I reckon the value of my cock up is about £7k which is above the reporting threshold to self correct on the next return.

I have emailed HMRC so will see what happens when they get back to me, from what I have read the penalty is up to 30% so possibly another £2k + interest if I plan for the worse and hope for the best.
        Just correct it on your next VAT return as the reporting threshold is £10k+. How far does the error go back? If it's for an accounting period that ended less than 4 years ago, just do it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
          Just correct it on your next VAT return as the reporting threshold is £10k+. How far does the error go back? If it's for an accounting period that ended less than 4 years ago, just do it this way.
          I thought that could only be done if the error was less than 1% of your box 6 figure
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I thought that could only be done if the error was less than 1% of your box 6 figure
            Correct errors on your VAT Returns - GOV.UK

Comment

I read it as the reporting threshold needs to be all three (less than £10K, less than 4 years, and less than 1%) are you saying it's a one or the other "less than 10K and 4 years" or "less than 1%"?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I read it as the reporting threshold needs to be all three (less than £10K, less than 4 years, and less than 1%) are you saying it's a one or the other "less than 10K and 4 years" or "less than 1%"?
                The three point criteria is less than £10k, not deliberate and less than four years. This then branches out to the reporting thresholds.

You can use the advised method as it's below £10k OR between £10k-£50k but less than 1%. You use form VAT652 if the error is between £10k-£50k and more than 1% OR the error is more than £50k.

Have a read of their guidance below, in particular 4.3. Also note about informing them of the adjustment if they penalise you and you want to appeal.

How to correct VAT errors and make adjustments or claims (VAT Notice 700/45) - GOV.UK

Comment

The three point criteria is less than £10k, not deliberate and less than four years. This then branches out to the reporting thresholds.

You can use the advised method as it's below £10k OR between £10k-£50k but less than 1%. You use form VAT652 if the error is between £10k-£50k and more than 1% OR the error is more than £50k.

Have a read of their guidance below, in particular 4.3. Also note about informing them of the adjustment if they penalise you and you want to appeal.

How to correct VAT errors and make adjustments or claims (VAT Notice 700/45) - GOV.UK
                  Perfect, thanks!

Comment

Just got off the phone with the VAT people and they are happy the mistake was genuine and as I came to them I can correct on my next return no harm no foul

Comment

Phew! That's a relief

Comment

Working...
                      X