• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've (finally) ****ed up doing my own accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've (finally) ****ed up doing my own accounts

Just about to hit my 10 year anniversary of doing my own books and I've finally made a mistake with my VAT returns, I reckon the value of my cock up is about £7k which is above the reporting threshold to self correct on the next return.

I have emailed HMRC so will see what happens when they get back to me, from what I have read the penalty is up to 30% so possibly another £2k + interest if I plan for the worse and hope for the best.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Just about to hit my 10 year anniversary of doing my own books and I've finally made a mistake with my VAT returns, I reckon the value of my cock up is about £7k which is above the reporting threshold to self correct on the next return.

I have emailed HMRC so will see what happens when they get back to me, from what I have read the penalty is up to 30% so possibly another £2k + interest if I plan for the worse and hope for the best.
    I thought you were using Freeagent? How on earth did you screw up that badly?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I thought you were using Freeagent? How on earth did you screw up that badly?
      FreeAgent is only as good as the data you put in

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If you discovered the error and are voluntarily highlighting it to them, unlikely to be a penalty at all. Bit different if they spotted it and highlighted to you, as then suggests maybe you never would have corrected it without being "caught", hence less care being taken, and/or possible deliberate fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          If you discovered the error and are voluntarily highlighting it to them, unlikely to be a penalty at all. Bit different if they spotted it and highlighted to you, as then suggests maybe you never would have corrected it without being "caught", hence less care being taken, and/or possible deliberate fraud.
          That is the "planning for the worse and hoping for the best bit"

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

The way I see it, 10 years of doing your own books will have saved you probably close to £10K. So, even if you get the penalty, you're still ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              The way I see it, 10 years of doing your own books will have saved you probably close to £10K. So, even if you get the penalty, you're still ahead.
              To be sure, you're a 'glass half full' guy!

Comment

From what I see there is no penalty because you spotted it; just follow the procedure. There seems to be different ones for different amounts:

How to correct VAT errors and make adjustments or claims (VAT Notice 700/45) - GOV.UK
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'm sure we'll come and visit you in the clink.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I'm sure we'll come and visit you in the clink.
                    Bring cake please

Comment

Working...
                    X