• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How far can I backdate VAT payments?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far can I backdate VAT payments?

I did a lot of work since Jan (minus the lockdown months), and I am in the process of registering my LTD company to the VAT flat rate scheme.
    How far can I backdate? One of my old clients from January/Feb said it might be too far back.

Is there a limit?

Thanks everyone

What did your accountant say? I'm guessing if you are registering for flat rate that you don't have an accountant?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have an accountant - my accountant said if I go back more than 6 months HMRC might raise questions but thats it.

So the information isn't entirely clear.

Comment

Originally posted by TAOC View Post
        I did a lot of work since Jan (minus the lockdown months), and I am in the process of registering my LTD company to the VAT flat rate scheme.
        How far can I backdate? One of my old clients from January/Feb said it might be too far back.

Is there a limit?

Thanks everyone
        What's the motive here? If it's for claiming VAT back on expenses before registration then you can do this going back four years for goods that you still have or that were used to make other goods you still have, and six months for services you purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
          What's the motive here? If it's for claiming VAT back on expenses before registration then you can do this going back four years for goods that you still have or that were used to make other goods you still have, and six months for services you purchased.
          My quess is to profit from flat rate scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Kugel View Post
            My quess is to profit from flat rate scheme.
            that'll be pretty thin gruel
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TAOC View Post

Is there a limit?

Thanks everyone
              Old clients will just love you

Ohh here is a vat invoice from 9 months ago

Client - yes I will gladly pay this, take my money

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Here is the link:

VAT registration: Purchases made before registration - GOV.UK

There’s a time limit for backdating claims for VAT paid before registration. From your date of registration the time limit is:

4 years for goods you still have, or that were used to make other goods you still have
                6 months for services
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                X