• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State pension qualifying years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State pension qualifying years

Hello,

I'm writting here because I have a problem. I used to have an accountant but she messed up and I ended up losing quite a bit of money due to wrong advice and I fired her. But now I'm doing my account myself. So far so good.

I have a problem with my state pension because it says I didn't pay enough to qualify to pension. However I know I did.

My salary was on 2017-18: £8,160
    The threshold salary to be a qualifying year (Primary theshold) is £680/month or £8,160 (so exactly my salary)
    Rates and allowances: National Insurance contributions - GOV.UK

So I paid myself via the Basic PAYE tool and everything works fine and is recorded in HMRC website. (http://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-...oric-paye/2017)

However it says it's not qualifying!!

I called the support, and explained to them the problem. They couldn't understand why and told me I had to contribute to National insurance to get qualifying year. But I told them that the previous year (2016-17) I didn't pay anything either and it was a qualifying year....

So the guy ended up telling me to write by letter to their office (hmrcniceo BX91AN) so that they investigate.... They don't even accept email for communication...

For clarity, I should be just earning enough to qualify for state pension:

Contractor Salary: Choosing a Tax-Efficient salary in 2019/20

That's so rubbish. Anyone can give some clarity? I feel it's going to take forever to sort that out with these guys...

Thank you
    Last edited by cwah; 22 September 2020, 09:47.

Originally posted by cwah View Post
    Hello,

I'm writting here because I have a problem. I used to have an accountant but she messed up and I ended up losing quite a bit of money due to wrong advice and I fired her. But now I'm doing my account myself. So far so good.

I have a problem with my state pension because it says I didn't pay enough to qualify to pension. However I know I did.

My salary was on 2017-18: £8,160
    The threshold salary to be a qualifying year (Primary theshold) is £680/month or £8,160 (so exactly my salary)
    Rates and allowances: National Insurance contributions - GOV.UK

So I paid myself via the Basic PAYE tool and everything works fine and is recorded in HMRC website. (http://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-...oric-paye/2017)

However it says it's not qualifying!!

I called the support, and explained to them the problem. They couldn't understand why and told me I had to contribute to National insurance to get qualifying year. But I told them that the previous year (2016-17) I didn't pay anything either and it was a qualifying year....

So the guy ended up telling me to write by letter to their office (hmrcniceo BX91AN) so that they investigate.... They don't even accept email for communication...

For clarity, I should be just earning enough to qualify for state pension:

Contractor Salary: Choosing a Tax-Efficient salary in 2019/20

That's so rubbish. Anyone can give some clarity? I feel it's going to take forever to sort that out with these guys...

Thank you
    Unfortunately, this happened to me for 1 year and credits got missed. Plus as it was more than 6 years ago and I dont have evidence, they wont give me the credit so, Ive lost a full qualifying year.

You need to prove or show them that for the relevant year(s), you either paid NI or were entitled to a credit due to low income. This should be relatively easy if you have your accounts and documentation available as it is only 4 years ago.

Once you satisfy them you have paid NI or should have had credits, you should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
      Unfortunately, this happened to me for 1 year and credits got missed. Plus as it was more than 6 years ago and I dont have evidence, they wont give me the credit so, Ive lost a full qualifying year.

You need to prove or show them that for the relevant year(s), you either paid NI or were entitled to a credit due to low income. This should be relatively easy if you have your accounts and documentation available as it is only 4 years ago.

Once you satisfy them you have paid NI or should have had credits, you should be ok.
      Ah that's great thank you. Do you have a link where I can show I was entitled to credit? I don't want to have arguments, I feel like I was talking to a monkey over the phone.

I just need to show them something that show I'm qualifying. And ideally automatically when I submit my monthly salary, I don't know what's missing.

Thank you very much

Comment

Ah that's great thank you. Do you have a link where I can show I was entitled to credit? I don't want to have arguments, I feel like I was talking to a monkey over the phone.

I just need to show them something that show I'm qualifying. And ideally automatically when I submit my monthly salary, I don't know what's missing.

Thank you very much
        Apart from that diagram, I dont have any links readily available. Unfortunately you're going to have to contact them again, probably in writing, producing evidence of your income for the period in question ie accounts, bank statements, any payslips etc.

You need to re state you've paid the NICs or because of low earnings, should have been given credits but for whatever reason, HMRC \ DWP have missed these off your record.

Comment

Lol - just checked mine for 1st time - I have missing years also

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

FYI - If you have gaps you can make voluntary contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
              FYI - If you have gaps you can make voluntary contributions.
              That's where you have it wrong. Re-read what I shared. I don't need to make any contribution

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                Apart from that diagram, I dont have any links readily available. Unfortunately you're going to have to contact them again, probably in writing, producing evidence of your income for the period in question ie accounts, bank statements, any payslips etc.

You need to re state you've paid the NICs or because of low earnings, should have been given credits but for whatever reason, HMRC \ DWP have missed these off your record.
                Thank you. I called them again. I found out the problem is with what's called the Lower Earning Limit (LEL): Rates and allowances: National Insurance contributions - GOV.UK

So they told me I still have to write to them (even if they have my earning record already). I'm doing that now and tell them the credits are missing. Hopefully it should be ok

Comment

That's where you have it wrong. Re-read what I shared. I don't need to make any contribution
                  I'm not saying you do. Re-read what I posted.

Comment

Why bother it’s like peanuts you get back

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X