• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the UK living abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in the UK living abroad

Hi all,

I have a pretty complicated situation I am not sure how to manage.

I have been living in the UK (London) for now 4 years and I'll soon be moving to Spain, however I would like to maintain my working life here in the UK, I am registered as self-employed, meaning my idea is to travel back and forth (In an ideal situation without Covid) to accept jobs in the UK whenever they happen.

I will obviously be happy to pay taxes wherever it's needed, however there are few points I really can't manage to understand:

- How I can keep my invoicing and taxation in the UK without a UK address?
    - Would registering under an Umbrella Company or a LTD company be of any help?
    - What are the points that I will need to understand clearly in order to not have any legal issues?
    - How can I keep being a UK-resident? And if I can, can I also be a Spain resident at the same time?
    - I have a pre-settlement status, is there any way I could legally reach the 5 years in order to ask the settlement without constantly being here in the UK?

I know there is a lot of confusion, any help or any clarification of any of the points I have listed would be very appreciated.

A couple of infos that might be of help, I am an Italian citizen with an Italian passport. I do not earn massive amounts of money.

Thank you so much to whoever try to make this a bit clearer.
    Aris.

First of all it looks like you will be resident in Spain. However UK non-residents also pay tax on UK income. You should enquire about a virtual office, i.e. a company that will send on your mail to your address in Spain. That should be sufficient for communication between you and the client and maybe HMRC. In any case you should consult an accountant. An option would be for your UK accountant to act as a representative.

Your UK income will be taxed in the UK but your worldwide income should be declared in Spain, i.e. you declare your UK income in Spain as well but is classified as UK income.

If you commute keep all your receipts as the Spanish tax authorities may enquire and ask for proof of you travelling to the UK.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      First of all it looks like you will be resident in Spain. However UK non-residents also pay tax on UK income. You should enquire about a virtual office, i.e. a company that will send on your mail to your address in Spain. That should be sufficient for communication between you and the client and maybe HMRC. In any case you should consult an accountant. An option would be for your UK accountant to act as a representative.

Your UK income will be taxed in the UK but your worldwide income should be declared in Spain, i.e. you declare your UK income in Spain as well but is classified as UK income.

If you commute keep all your receipts as the Spanish tax authorities may enquire and ask for proof of you travelling to the UK.
      Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. You actually made it very clearly and apparently easy. I am looking into the virtual office, which something I didn't know.

Are they trustable? What are the requirements I should really look into to understand if it's a reliable company or not? And also, with a virtual office and an address, I can invoice then using that address? How wold that work then at the end of the year declaring taxes as a self-employed? Does anyone already have a virtual office?

I am also looking into an accountant, that I have never had, but I'm not sure of where I could find reliable people. Does anyone have any suggestion at all?

Sorry again for all these other questions, I am kinda understanding a bit more but still far from a solution.

Thank you a lot to anyone who can help.
      Best,
      Aris.

Comment

Working...
      X