• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC self-assessment compliance check letter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC self-assessment compliance check letter

Just received said letter in the post and am having slight panic attack Has anyone dealt with this and any advice? Is this something routine HMRC do time from time to randomly selected accounts (especially now when they need to pay for Covid/Brexit etc.), or do I need to worry/make a run to Mexico?

They are looking into the year ending 5-Apr-2019 and asking to provide details of all bank accounts held in the UK or overseas, and details of remuneration and divs from my Ltd which seems straightforward enough.

My (now former) accountant is OOO today but of course I'll speak to him when he's back. I'm certain there was nothing dodgy going on, just usual salary + dividends taken from my Ltd where I was a director (company is now closed and I took permanent employment since). However I do feel a little uncomfortable.

Any words of wisdom much appreciated!

Do you have any investigation insurances with the likes of Qdos or IPSE? Check the policies and see if they will cover this.

Comment

Originally posted by DZ2 View Post
      Just received said letter in the post and am having slight panic attack Has anyone dealt with this and any advice? Is this something routine HMRC do time from time to randomly selected accounts (especially now when they need to pay for Covid/Brexit etc.), or do I need to worry/make a run to Mexico?

They are looking into the year ending 5-Apr-2019 and asking to provide details of all bank accounts held in the UK or overseas, and details of remuneration and divs from my Ltd which seems straightforward enough.

My (now former) accountant is OOO today but of course I'll speak to him when he's back. I'm certain there was nothing dodgy going on, just usual salary + dividends taken from my Ltd where I was a director (company is now closed and I took permanent employment since). However I do feel a little uncomfortable.

Any words of wisdom much appreciated!
      just tell them the truth. Answer direct questions directly. No embellishments. Stick to facts.
      Your only worry right now is if something you tell them doesn't agree with your tax return.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Do you have any investigation insurances with the likes of Qdos or IPSE? Check the policies and see if they will cover this.
        Thanks, yes I have both. Will check them. I was wondering whether it's worth renewing when they expire now that I've left contracting. I guess that's a sign to do so

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          just tell them the truth. Answer direct questions directly. No embellishments. Stick to facts.
          Your only worry right now is if something you tell them doesn't agree with your tax return.
          Thanks, that's what I thought too. Pretty sure there is nothing for them to disagree, only income was from Ltd, no other sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            I think this is bad advice, if you respond directly it might invalidate your cover from QDOS/IPSE - let them deal with it

"claims conditions" from QDOS policy wording:
            Provided that Qdos has managed the dispute from inception

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
              I think this is bad advice, if you respond directly it might invalidate your cover from QDOS/IPSE - let them deal with it
              ^^ This.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by DZ2 View Post
                Thanks, that's what I thought too. Pretty sure there is nothing for them to disagree, only income was from Ltd, no other sources.
                Do not contact them directly. Let your insurers manage this investigation.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  Do not contact them directly. Let your insurers manage this investigation.
                  A very good point, I didn't think of this. Will give QDOS a call today. I'd be more than happy if they take this out of my hands!

Comment

I would be on a plane to Mexico if me

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X