• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL and going back to work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MVL and going back to work

Hi, Sorry to be a newbie here, but I could do with some help.

I worked as a consultant in the oil business through my own limited company for a couple of years. The contract came to a natural end, and as the oil business is in a very poor way, there was no further work.

Because of that I decided to wind my limited company up with an MVL (a process that is currently ongoing since the start of August).

Of course now there is the possibility of more work starting (in the same line of business) at the end of this year, or Q1 next year. This work would be PAYE though, and not as a Ltd Co.

So my questions are...

Can I do this work and just do PAYE and all is fine with the MVL process, even though it's been less than the 2 year criteria to go into the same business
    or
    Could I back-calculate and pay the taxes that would have been due to HMRC if I had not done the MVL process

Many thanks for any advice

PAYE is fine to continue work - you cannot create a new company in the same line of work but you could continue doing it for someone else.,
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Cobaltcodd View Post
      Hi, Sorry to be a newbie here, but I could do with some help.

I worked as a consultant in the oil business through my own limited company for a couple of years. The contract came to a natural end, and as the oil business is in a very poor way, there was no further work.

Because of that I decided to wind my limited company up with an MVL (a process that is currently ongoing since the start of August).

Of course now there is the possibility of more work starting (in the same line of business) at the end of this year, or Q1 next year. This work would be PAYE though, and not as a Ltd Co.

So my questions are...

Can I do this work and just do PAYE and all is fine with the MVL process, even though it's been less than the 2 year criteria to go into the same business
      or
      Could I back-calculate and pay the taxes that would have been due to HMRC if I had not done the MVL process

Many thanks for any advice
      The bigger question is how did you think the Oil business was "winding down" - I work in that area and contracting has been white hot since 2014/5

Comment

I'm on the offshore drilling side, and the North Sea rig utilisation is approximately 50% of what it once was. There are very few longer term drilling campaigns, and if you can get work then it is for only a few months at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X