• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office Chair Purchase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your taxes at work

On a related note, I understand that every desk on every floor of the Cabinet Office has a Hermann Miller Aeron chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
      On a related note, I understand that every desk on every floor of the Cabinet Office has a Hermann Miller Aeron chair.
      I have no problem with people spending money on decent equipment and actually wished other companies didn't penny pench so much.

At most places it's easy to get a decent chair but it requires reporting a bad back during you health and safety desk assessment.

Oh and I think my Aeron chair is 18 years old...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I have no problem with people spending money on decent equipment and actually wished other companies didn't penny pench so much.

At most places it's easy to get a decent chair but it requires reporting a bad back during you health and safety desk assessment.

Oh and I think my Aeron chair is 18 years old...
        IME the worst people to work for is a large consultancy at a public sector client. You end up with more and more people crammed into a room with worse and worse office furniture. The consultancy doesn't like to say anything or the wrong person might realise how many bods they have on the ground.

Comment

Agree with eek - a cheap chair costs way more in the long run whether it's due to injury or more frequent replacement needs.

Comment

It’s a no brainer to invest money in a good chair especially if you mostly WFH.

Aerons are good but I recently got rid of my 12 year old Aeron for a new Herman Miller Embody. It’s not quite as breathable as the Aeron mesh but it’s really comfortable. Worth a look and ideally find a local supplier who can loan you one to try it out for a few weeks.

If you’re near London I got mine from a place in Romford - they loaned me a chair for 3 weeks then let me keep it it once my order was placed until it was ready (there is a lead time). They collected and delivered at the same time. I can DM you their name if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              It’s a no brainer to invest money in a good chair especially if you mostly WFH.

Aerons are good but I recently got rid of my 12 year old Aeron for a new Herman Miller Embody. It’s not quite as breathable as the Aeron mesh but it’s really comfortable. Worth a look and ideally find a local supplier who can loan you one to try it out for a few weeks.

If you’re near London I got mine from a place in Romford - they loaned me a chair for 3 weeks then let me keep it it once my order was placed until it was ready (there is a lead time). They collected and delivered at the same time. I can DM you their name if you are interested.
              Thankyou - unfortunately I'm quite a way from old London Town these days.

It would be a great idea to be able to try one out but I don't think that's going to fly for me at the moment so I'm going in blind, to a certain degree. But a quality brand like HM is never going to disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
                I am actually quite liking the HM Mirra now. Seems a little less imposing than the Aeron. Anyone got one?

I tried one out as it was the one I wanted based on the aesthetics but didn’t find it as comfortable as the Aeron or the Embody.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  I tried one out as it was the one I wanted based on the aesthetics but didn’t find it as comfortable as the Aeron or the Embody.
                  Yes, the Embody does seem to have a bit more padding. I think it all boils down to one's body type - I already have a bit of padding around my seat area

Comment

You're starting to sound like a Gricer incarnation now.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So I traipsed over to John Lewis to try out the rather limited selection that they had on display.

Among them were the HM Aeron, Sayl and Humanscale Liberty.

The Aeron was very comfortable as expected while the Sayl didn't meet my expectations at all - had a rigid back so I'm glad I just didn't order one on spec and made the effort to go to a shop.

I actually plumped for the Humanscale Liberty. About half the price of the Aeron and seemed just as comfortable. I look forward to its arrival. As does my lower back...

Comment

Working...
                      X