• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office Chair Purchase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office Chair Purchase

Bit of a multifaceted post, this one, but posting it here because it includes the inevitable "can I expense this" question.

I have a bad back that I am sure is exacerbated by spending the working day sitting on a dining room chair so I'm going to buy myself a decent office chair with good lumbar support.

Reading around on here and other places, it seems the Hermann Miller Aeron is the one to get. It is rather pricey though, just wondering if there were any less expensive options. I could get a 2nd hand one on eBay I suppose. (Quite like the idea of having a bit of HM furniture in the house as I used to work for them assembling their Ethospace range during the summers when I was at university...)

So, here comes the big one - will this be a valid ltd company expense?

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
      So, here comes the big one - will this be a valid ltd company expense?
      Yes. Next.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Strangely it isn't the only chair...I thought to try an alternative since my wife has been using one of these - Tiverton T551ADJ Seat and Arms

If it was no good then I was going to send it back.

£204.00 including VAT

I did not send it back and have been sitting on it in my home office, every working day...

Tiverton High Back Swivel Chair - Blandford Office Furniture
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Why not speak to your accountant who might have taken the time to go through the rules around this area and given you a better understanding rather than answering a single question?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Why not speak to your accountant who might have taken the time to go through the rules around this area and given you a better understanding rather than answering a single question?
              Because sometimes communicating with my accountant is like sending a message in a bottle and it just seemed easier to ask a question here. I mean, what's the point of having an accounting forum, otherwise, given that our accountants can answer most of the questions on here?
              Last edited by The Bona Fide; 1 October 2020, 11:16.

Comment

I absolutely love the Hermann Miller Aeron chairs.
                They work very well and are very supportive and comfortable indeed.
                I do still baulk at the cost when I have to buy one but (only bought 3 in the past 20 years) they are worth every penny.
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

I got the HM Sayl. I think its an excellent chair and a bit less imposing than the large ones for a home office.

Purchased it reconditioned on eBay for a reasonable price.

Comment

Reconditioned HM chairs are also widely available.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                    X