• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got an AirBnB property?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an AirBnB property?

Better make sure you declare it.

HMRC receives Airbnb letting data | AccountingWEB
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Better make sure you declare it.

HMRC receives Airbnb letting data | AccountingWEB
    It's a bit late if you started letting it in 2018/19 and didn't declare it then... Should just about be able to get away with it if you started letting it since April 2019.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Surely nobody is stupid enough to have undeclared income from AirBnB. Aren't they? Perhaps not?
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Surely nobody is stupid enough to have undeclared income from AirBnB. Aren't they? Perhaps not?
        I suspect we won't be surprised....

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          I would not be surprised if less than half of AirBNB owners have declared that income.

Comment

Not read the article yet, so...

Can AirBnB rental be covered by the rent a room relief, or whatever it is?

Still needs to be declared, of course, which I suspect many people haven't even remotely considered. Especially those who may rent out on an ad hoc basis.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Not read the article yet, so...

Can AirBnB rental be covered by the rent a room relief, or whatever it is?

Still needs to be declared, of course, which I suspect many people haven't even remotely considered. Especially those who may rent out on an ad hoc basis.
              From the article

What to declare

The Airbnb insight report for 2017/18 says the annual earnings from Airbnb by a typical UK host is £3,100, (£3,800 in Scotland). This lies within the room-a-room relief allowance of £7,500, so would not generate a tax reporting obligation for a host who only lets out part of their main home.

However, letting a second or third home that generates income in excess of £1,000 in a tax year will create a tax reporting obligation. The £1,000 limit is the trading and miscellaneous income annual allowance that can apply to letting income that doesn’t fall within rent-a-room relief.

Comment

What sort of ID do you need to provide to rent via Airbnb ? National Insurance No. ? It might not be that easy for HMRC to pin it down on a simple search.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  What sort of ID do you need to provide to rent via Airbnb ? National Insurance No. ? It might not be that easy for HMRC to pin it down on a simple search.
                  HMRC will have the appropriate bank account details amongst the datasets they have access to...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    HMRC will have the appropriate bank account details amongst the datasets they have access to...
                    Yes should be easy enough I guess. Years ago in Oz they brought in a Tax File No system and you can't sneeze without providing one. Works wonders for tax collection I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X