• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brainstorming: Umbrella - furlough situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anim View Post
    hahaha I judging by the gov and the civil servants I have worked with you are completely wrong. Wanna proof - covid19 situation.

Generally however you might be right about furlough in brollies.

One question here (for 0 points really). If a brolly spends close to no time doing stuff for you to earn its' fees, wont it be good gesture to invest 5 mins a month to put you on furlough and dont earn fees during this time? That's is provided there is £0 for the brolly to pay you.
    Why don’t you ask your umbrella why they don’t offer the furlough?
    Might help the discussion.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Slight problem with that - he isn't using an umbrella
      Could be - never been with one. What more?
      When I asked what do I pay for and it was - eeeehhhm, onboarding, payroll.
      Mind you onboarding is one off.
      So what else?
      Or to put it bluntly - how many hours do they spend on me per month?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

One question here (for 0 points really). If a brolly spends close to no time doing stuff for you to earn its' fees, wont it be good gesture to invest 5 mins a month to put you on furlough and dont earn fees during this time? That's is provided there is £0 for the brolly to pay you.
        Because doing very little for some money is *way less expensive* than doing more for no money.

And every single person they pay during that time represents a risk of some description. They will be generating inbound contacts because it's all new, chasing money the umbrella won't have until the government pay it, there is the risk of clawback from the government, they would have to develop new systems and processes to accommodate the changes, communicate it all out, etc etc

All to invite risk into the business during an uncertain time for zero income.

Do I win 0 points?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          He's already been told why; he just doesn't like the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            To be fair.. Every single great idea that has been flouted on here, bar absolutely none, has fallen over because the OP didn't understand the basics of what they were suggesting and carried on until it became a complete waste of time discussing, even if it had a modicum of merit in the beginning.

There are cleverer folk than us making these schemes up. If a contractor has to dream one up you can bet your house its been thought off and didn't work.

This one isn't going to fly either unfortunately.
            On here as in this thread or on here as in the forum as a whole.

Because I do have a plan and everyone who has heard it confirms it's a runner (but then again this isn't a brand new thread and I'm sneaky for good reason).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Because I do have a plan and everyone who has heard it confirms it's a runner (but then again this isn't a brand new thread and I'm sneaky for good reason).
              This reminds me of the folk that used to go on shows like X-Factor and tell the judges the all their friends and family said they were brilliant and should go on the show. Then they sing and sound like a crying baby.

Looking forward to hearing the details

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                This reminds me of the folk that used to go on shows like X-Factor and tell the judges the all their friends and family said they were brilliant and should go on the show. Then they sing and sound like a crying baby.

Looking forward to hearing the details
                Well in this case my friends are:-

Umbrella companies
                Agencies
                Employment and tax lawyers
                Oh and later today one of the recruitment industry's factoring companies

Being frank I was surprised it was a runner (I thought it might be but you never really know). In this case it does seem that it actually will be because it solves an issue that they've never been able to sensible solve....
                Last edited by eek; 14 October 2020, 10:53.

Comment

Do you have plans to reveal it or any information about this idea or what problem it solves so is fellow contractors can either thumbs up or ridicule your idea

Genuinely interested to hear new ideas as the landscape changes

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Being frank I was surprised it was a runner (I thought it might be but you never really know). In this case it does seem that it actually will be because it solves an issue that they've never been able to sensible solve....
                    It's clear you're not (yet) ready to share the solution. But, can you share the issue this solution is going to resolve, and for whom it is resolving it?
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 14 October 2020, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      It's clear you're not (yet) ready to tell share the solution. But, can you share the issue this solution is going to resolve, and for whom it is resolving it?
                      Compliance.

Comment

Working...
                      X