• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying Wife Redundancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RajaStyle View Post
    Hi All

I wanted to pay my wife a redundancy payment, she is not a director but company secretary who is also a 40% odd shareholder.

If it helps FYI - With the downturn and IR35 I am looking to close down and she has recently taken perm work to help bring some income for bills etc hence provided her a P45.

Is this possible ?
    Whilst I broadly agree with the other comments about creative accounting and playing fast and loose with tax rules, isn't this all actually irrelevant given the statement "hence provided her a P45"

You can't make someone redundant after they have already left employment. You needed to sort this out before issuing the P45.

She possibly could have an employment tribunal claim against the OP for wrongful termination though - depends if she like you or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      at risk of confusing the thread....

a pal of mine retired 3 years ago.
      He took all the money out his company, made himself redundant after there was no money left, and got the government to pay statutory redundancy to him personally as the company couldn't afford to.
      Legal. yes.
      He got a lawyer to sort it.

Risks... unknown as he's the only case I've heard of.
      Seems like an unnecessary and difficult task

Assuming they where under 41, had worked for their company for 10 years and paid in line with usual contractor rates the maximum stat redundancy is £5k; I'd be surprised if that covered the solicitor fees

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post

Assuming they where under 41, had worked for their company for 10 years and paid in line with usual contractor rates the maximum stat redundancy is £5k; I'd be surprised if that covered the solicitor fees
        More to the point - how does an officer of the company, which is a substantive position defined in the Companies Act, make themselves redundant? Simply not possible.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post

The solicitor charged £2k. So £3k of free money.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          More to the point - how does an officer of the company, which is a substantive position defined in the Companies Act, make themselves redundant? Simply not possible.
          Well he did. And he did get paid. No idea of the legality or the risks but he did it.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            at risk of confusing the thread....

a pal of mine retired 3 years ago.
            He took all the money out his company, made himself redundant after there was no money left, and got the government to pay statutory redundancy to him personally as the company couldn't afford to.
            Legal. yes.
            He got a lawyer to sort it.

Risks... unknown as he's the only case I've heard of.
            He 'retired' but made himself redundant? Sounds more like a 'mate's polished turd bulltulip story.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
              He 'retired' but made himself redundant? Sounds more like a 'mate's polished turd bulltulip story.
              I agree. Or a bloody poor accountant. A director cannot make himself redundant, only appoint a new one to replace himself. Posts are made redundant, not people, and the post has to persist; it's the law...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I agree. Or a bloody poor accountant. A director cannot make himself redundant, only appoint a new one to replace himself. Posts are made redundant, not people, and the post has to persist; it's the law...
                The question posed here was can I employ my wife as an employee (not director) and then make her redundant. Nothing to do with making the director redundant

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                  The question posed here was can I employ my wife as an employee (not director) and then make her redundant. Nothing to do with making the director redundant

Not quite.

He says he's already given her a P45. That means she was employed, but no longer is.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

except it wan't like that.
                    The business was closing, so he was redundant. No director needed for a closed company. The post ceased to exist.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Who cares? Its a none story that doesn't make sense and doesn't help this situation.

Why are we still discussing it?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X