• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract To Perm Overseas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract To Perm Overseas

I have been doing work for a client in London for the past few years. Pretty typical "outside IR35" six month IT worker contract with several extensions. Qdos has reviewed and I have the insurance and tried to take precautions as best as one can yada yada... but like most people I would be uncomfortable getting any attention.

Anyway, I have decided (among other personal reasons) that I can't be bothered with the IR35 and contracting nonsense here anymore so I'm going to MVL my limited company and I'm relocating to a country far away overseas.

When I mentioned my plans to a manager at the (large global corporate) client they suggested that they can have a chat with their counterparts at their office in that country about any roles they might have going. It would be doing the same kind of IT work in a related division of the company, but with different teams and different projects. But it would have to be a full time perm thing there.

It's quite an appealing prospect, less stress with relocation, would have a few months break, make it easy with mortgages and they sound like they would even be fine with it being a full time remote working role.

I know a lot of people just go contract to perm at the same company in the UK here and don't even think twice about it. But I'm a paranoid kind of person - am I worrying too much about getting red flagged by HMRC in this scenario? I would still need to do a UK self assessment for a couple of years and I'd have to put their name on it as an employer.
    Last edited by UglyDuckling; 16 October 2020, 15:37.

Working...
X