• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payroll Options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll Options

Hi,
    Can anyone advise please?
    I am in the process of setting up my own small limited company, just myself as Director and my wife employed as Secretary.
    Our accountant advises that we should use a payroll service costing £160p/a as they will have the proper software that HMRC requires.
    However, I see that HMRC has a list of free payroll software for businesses of less than 10 employees (like ours) - Find payroll software: Free software - GOV.UK So why wouldn't we use the free version and do it ourselves? Are we missing something? Is it difficult to set up, understand and use?
    Also which of the 11 free packages that HMRC recommend are the best/worst?
    Any advice much appreciated.

Open an account with FreeAgent. Job done.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Open an account with FreeAgent. Job done.
      Thanks for tip. Any reason why they aren't on the HMRC recommended list?
      Find payroll software: Free software - GOV.UK

Comment

Originally posted by JamesC34 View Post
        Thanks for tip. Any reason why they aren't on the HMRC recommended list?
        Find payroll software: Free software - GOV.UK
        Probably because they are a cloud accounting support service that includes a payroll module, rather than a dedicated payroll supplier.

Also remember that software is usually worth as much as you pay for it. FreeAgent (and similar, such as Xero) is not free, but is often bundled by accountants since it saves them a fortune in bookkeeping effort.

I should look long and hard at your accountant. If he can't handle a payroll for you, what else can't he do?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Probably because they are a cloud accounting support service that includes a payroll module, rather than a dedicated payroll supplier.

Also remember that software is usually worth as much as you pay for it. FreeAgent (and similar, such as Xero) is not free, but is often bundled by accountants since it saves them a fortune in bookkeeping effort.

I should look long and hard at your accountant. If he can't handle a payroll for you, what else can't he do?
          Indeed, get FreeAgent will give you a lot of time back (freeagent free with natwest account also )

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Indeed, get FreeAgent will give you a lot of time back (freeagent free with natwest account also )

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            Sign up for a business bank account with RBS/Natwest and you get freeagent for free (avg fees are less than £5 a month after a introductionary period)
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              It could be that this particular accountant has unbundled all their services and the OP is paying (less) for a basic accountancy service.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Sign up for a business bank account with RBS/Natwest and you get freeagent for free (avg fees are less than £5 a month after a introductionary period)
                I think that it's actually free if one goes with the new online bank that RBS/Natwest have created?
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  It could be that this particular accountant has unbundled all their services and the OP is paying (less) for a basic accountancy service.
                  That's correct. We were just paying the accountant to start us up. Payroll services were an optional add-on.

Comment

Freeagent looks good, but £30 a month unless we nabk with RBS/Natwest and we are happy with Starling Bank.

Does anyone use any of the following freebies that the HMRC recommend? Why is Freeagent better?

1 2 Cloud Payroll Free Cloud Payroll, Free Cloud Bureau Payroll
                    12Pay Express
                    Accentra Technologies Primo Payroll with Auto Enrolment (up to 10 employees)
                    Capium Capium Payroll (up to 3 employees)
                    EnrolPay Small Payroll
                    Hartigan Software Design RTI Lite
                    HMRC Basic PAYE Tools
                    IRIS Software IRIS Payroll Basics
                    Kashflow Kashflow Payroll
                    Shape Payroll Shape Payroll (up to 3 employees)
                    Stansoft Stansoft Linux

Comment

Working...
                    X