• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payroll query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll query

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and this is my very first post/query.

My permanent role was made redundant a couple of months ago. I used to contract few years ago via my own Limited company which has been in dormant state for last 3 years. Last month (Sept) I started a contact for 3 months. I've installed FreeAgent as I understand a little bit of accounting, studied accountancy at university many years ago.

Here is my query -
    I'd like to pay myself a salary of £1,000 from my company. I've set-up Payroll on FreeAgent including my previous Tax code and previous earnings as per P45.
    When I run the payroll it is showing that I should be paid tax refund based on previous earnings and as per my FreeAgent payslip I should be paid more than £2k. I understand it is personal tax overpaid for the current financial year.

What can I change on FreeAgent software to avoid this? I don't want the PAYE refund to be processed from my company, I'd rather file tax return at the end of the year and claim the refund.

Am I missing something on the Payroll setting?

Could someone please help/advise?

Thanks.

Regards,
    PV

Wk1/Mth1 basis

A way to achieve this is tick yes to the "Week 1/Month 1 basis?" box in the tax/NIC section of the employee details screen. This means FAC will calculate tax without reference to earlier months, nor the gross/tax figures you'll have entered from the P45. It basically divides the tax free personal allowance and higher rate threshold by 12. This will then leave any over/underpayment of tax to be dealt with in your SA tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by philip@wellwoodhoyle View Post
      A way to achieve this is tick yes to the "Week 1/Month 1 basis?" box in the tax/NIC section of the employee details screen. This means FAC will calculate tax without reference to earlier months, nor the gross/tax figures you'll have entered from the P45. It basically divides the tax free personal allowance and higher rate threshold by 12. This will then leave any over/underpayment of tax to be dealt with in your SA tax return.
      Absolutely correct; my question for the OP is if you didn't know this I'd suggest that even taking into accout your previous education you probably aren't up-to-date enough with accounting rules to be doing this yourself and should get actual help (or some top-up training)

Comment

Working...
      X