• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cafe shop working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe this may be the answer to the question.
    You pay for office space, and get invoiced for office space.

Desk Dog - BrewDog
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

There was a company here in that London who were trying to encourage people to use their restaurants to work from during the day. For £20 you would get a table in a nice space, use of their wifi and unlimited tea/coffee. It was set up with with the idea that you'd stick with the venue for lunch but there was no obligation to do so. It never quite got off the ground and sadly CV19 put the final nail in the coffin. I thought it was a great scheme even though I never got around to using it - the locations weren't quite convenient enough and I'm always wary of dodgy coffee.

Comment

Cheers all! Accounting agrees with the overall approach/view here. Obviously, there's always a risk that HMRC choose to disallow in the event of an investigation but I'm pretty happy to justify that working in Costa occasionally is good for productivity and therefore good for business!

Just as an aside, I've also got a trial set up for the Village Hotel Co-Working space. It's £100pcm which is very reasonable, but I don't know if I really want to commit. Will see what it's like anyway.

Comment

Having used a few coworking places, the following are all pretty good and all will (or they did, in the before time) allow you to work from their premises on a more ad hoc basis without demanding a subscription:

Bristol - Square Works - Creative Office Space in Bristol | Square Works

Manchester - Shared Workspace and Meeting Rooms in Manchester | Workplace (although I didn't like their coffee)

Glasgow - Clockwise - Flexible Office Space Day Pass

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Having used a few coworking places, the following are all pretty good and all will (or they did, in the before time) allow you to work from their premises on a more ad hoc basis without demanding a subscription:

Bristol - Square Works - Creative Office Space in Bristol | Square Works

Manchester - Shared Workspace and Meeting Rooms in Manchester | Workplace (although I didn't like their coffee)

Glasgow - Clockwise - Flexible Office Space Day Pass
            Cheers LM - unfortunately I'm in the sticks so options are few and far between, and I really don't want to invent my own commute Might help some others though

Will certainly do some more digging

Comment

I have lunch at the local Costa but wonder how others can work from there. Not the environment, more the restriction of a single 15 or 17" screen.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                I have lunch at the local Costa but wonder how others can work from there. Not the environment, more the restriction of a single 15 or 17" screen.
                My laptop is 17" - I admit having mulit-monitors at home is a nice bonus, but outside of COVID I spent half of my life on the road working in offices and hotels with just my laptop. Sometimes you can nick a monitor, but not always. So in that sense, it makes no odds to me, just the consultant lifestyle! Wrote a whole piece of commercial software sat in a Premier Inn with my laptop.

That said, if I go the coworking space route I'm very tempted to pick up a portable monitor

Comment

Thought I'd continue the blog. Went to a Village Hotel VWorks today - their new co working thing.

Ehhhh - it was okay, but I won't go back. For a start it was insanely quiet, there was only one other guy which for me rather defeated the purpose of being somewhere with a bit of energy and buzz. At one point I honestly considered moving outside to the lobby/Starbucks. I realise that's somewhat self-fulfilling, but just the nature of it and layout (pods primarily) felt more library than "co-working". Nothing like the likes of WeWork etc.

To be fair, it'd fit the bill if your issue was the opposite - i.e., needing somewhere to concentrate rather than working in the kitchen in a house full of kids or whatever.

Free coffee was crap, too. Chairs and everything were nice, and I'd say it was reasonable for ~£100pcm, just not for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X