• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cafe shop working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe shop working

Yeah, I've e-mailed my accountant but always good to open it up to the class! Feel like I might get some heat for this, but whatev

Despite having a fairly decent home office, I've been near 100% WFH for close to 2 years now. I was already done with it at the start of this year, but obviously COVID put pay to any ideas on stopping.

But, last week I finally got around to testing out the local Costa for a few mornings and it was great - I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that style of working.

So that's the blog bit, let's talk tax! I could, of course, go out and hire a co-working space and I've not ruled it out, but it feels an expensive option given I'd need to commit (that and the options are seriously limited around here).

But what of the coffee shop thing. Can I expense my drinks and lunch? Where do the temporary workplace rules come in?
    Last edited by vwdan; 19 October 2020, 18:42.

Yes fill you boots

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Oh. I thought you were thinking of getting a job in a cafe and were looking for tips about how to avoid getting your bum groped by the local letch.

Then I saw this was in professional, soz.

Comment

I hear some pubs chains are selling themselves as local offices, with coffee and other food deals. Not interested myself, but something you could look in to. Heard this on the radio.

Comment

I've been working out of my local cafe/pub and cost for the last three weeks and am loving it. Concentration levels were through the floor at home. Being out I have a reason to dress smart, no distractions and the odd engagement with another human being.

I don't expense anything. Its my choice to be there so don't bother.

If you want to expense it then expense it. No one is going to bat an eye lid at those amounts with this going on even if there was an issue about the legitimacy of it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Oh. I thought you were thinking of getting a job in a cafe and were looking for tips about how to avoid getting your bum groped by the local letch.

Then I saw this was in professional, soz.
            But if you do know could you pm me the details please.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I didn't think you could claim for food local to your home office. I always thought it had to be part of a trip e.g at least far enough to look like a trip to see a customer. I would have thought anything less than 20 miles or so would look like a social visit. Well I guess your accountant knows best.

Comment

I suspect this is one of those things where it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than asking outright.

So identify the cost of a local rent a desk service (around here it's £200) a month and expense any drinks up to the that amount and then stop.

And yes HMRC can come calling but at least you would have an argument to use.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I suspect this is one of those things where it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than asking outright.

So identify the cost of a local rent a desk service (around here it's £200) a month and expense any drinks up to the that amount and then stop.

And yes HMRC can come calling but at least you would have an argument to use.
                  And the receipts, obvs.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    And the receipts, obvs.
                    Sorry I should have been clear - All the receipts including the ones towards the end of the month when you went over £xxx so you didn't claim them, just in case.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X