• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adding a foreign shareholder

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For someone who has 300k retained profited then this is the value of the company. Giving away shares would be based on this 300k regained profits. Does not matter that the company was a £100 ltd

There is no tax for the recipient on receiving a gift assuming receiver is in Uk. And this is hmrc view rather then what happens in France tax authority
    Last edited by NowPermOutsideUK; 1 November 2020, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      For someone who has 300k retained profited then this is the value of the company.
      Wrong. Projected earnings may be included in it. 300K in the company means a 300k baseline. It's worth at least that.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Wrong. Projected earnings may be included in it. 300K in the company means a 300k baseline. It's worth at least that.
        Totally agreed. At least that amount was my point. Definitely not zero tax on the person giving the shares away because of cgt is my point

Comment

Originally posted by kazh View Post
          Oh man, so hard to just give someone money without such an unfair tax!
          Google might help: How UK investments are taxed in France | Blevins Franks Advice

Also, consider ownership of your firm and UK contracting - you have to be in full control (51% or above) of your limited company, or at least you do based on every contract I've ever undertaken.

Your accountant my be able to offer a better alternative - take the money out via UK tax hit for yourself then do something to give it to the other person, e.g. bitcoin account, etc.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

thanks for all the help!

SO far:

1) Find out market value for the shares and sell them to my friend at this rate or more
            2) Don't give up more than 49%

okay, sounds simple enough

Comment

Originally posted by kazh View Post
              thanks for all the help!

SO far:

1) Find out market value for the shares and sell them to my friend at this rate or more
              2) Don't give up more than 49%

okay, sounds simple enough
              The simplest way to value a business is take the annual turnover and multiply by 3.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I believe to get the very best advice befitting the OP's question we need this in General.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  But that’s based on the capital gain of the asset to the original owner surely?

Where as the recipient of the gift will still have tax to pay if gifted. If sold then the recipient now simply owns the shares and will be subject to tax on any income or sale in the future.
                  The original owner of the shares is liable to CGT when they dispose of them (by giving them away).

The new owner of the gifted shares is only liable to CGT when they subsequently dispose of them, subject to whatever the CGT rules are where they live.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                    For someone who has 300k retained profited then this is the value of the company.
                    Company valuation isn't quite *that* simple, even for a "PSC". I'd recommend you have a proper valuation drawn up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      Company valuation isn't quite *that* simple, even for a "PSC". I'd recommend you have a proper valuation drawn up.
                      But you can imagine that a share that will bring in £40+ k over the next year isn't going to be cheap!!
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X