• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adding a foreign shareholder

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still can't quite believe that we're tolerating this nonsense.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      I still can't quite believe that we're tolerating this nonsense.
      I can - there isn't that many posts to comment on and it's suitably plausible yet stupid that we aren't dismissing it out of hand.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Having read the 10 pages, OP can technically give away half of his company to an outsider. It is his share that he is giving away. I do'nt think HMRC would ask questions regarding that.
        Lot of companies get outsiders on board and give up shares in the company. I do not think anybody really asks for justifications.
        Once, the extra shareholder is added to the company, obviously the dividend that the company declares should include that shareholder.

This is a perfectly clear question and something that is done as a very common activity. The only reason there are questions raised is that this is rare with one man LTD companies. The tax avoidance/evasion angle is a red herring. That chap in France will declare his earning in his tax returns and deal with it as is needed.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          Having read the 10 pages, OP can technically give away half of his company to an outsider. It is his share that he is giving away. I do'nt think HMRC would ask questions regarding that.
          Lot of companies get outsiders on board and give up shares in the company. I do not think anybody really asks for justifications.
          Once, the extra shareholder is added to the company, obviously the dividend that the company declares should include that shareholder.

This is a perfectly clear question and something that is done as a very common activity. The only reason there are questions raised is that this is rare with one man LTD companies. The tax avoidance/evasion angle is a red herring. That chap in France will declare his earning in his tax returns and deal with it as is needed.
          I guess seems the whole thread is crap then I guess this rubbish will fit in nicely.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sorry to everyone that thinks this whole thing is total crap!

At least you can enjoy all the various interesting/knowledgeable/sarcastic characters on here! Some of the comments were so funny and dry! and super knowledgeable at the same time! so I really appreciate it

Anyway, so I contacted mercer & hole for a proper valuation, I've made less than £100 so far in the last few months, it's a new company, so interesting to see what they say! I was projecting 30-50k and if they think the same then I guess buying the shares for my friend will not be cheap and I'll have to abandon the whole endeavour.

Thanks again for all the advice, I reread many times!

Comment

Mate, the tone of responses to this thread results from the fact that what you are doing looks like tax avoidance, and you've been vague enough about why you are doing it and what you gain by it that it makes everyone suspicious, me included.

But I'll put all that aside, because if you are trying to accomplish something illegal you'll get caught. So some thoughts.

If you have a new company that has no income and no assets, it's worth nothing, so the shares are worth nothing and you can give them away without worrying about it. If you hope to sign a contract but haven't yet, then you have no income, and the shares are worthless.

If you have assets but no income yet (no contracts), the company is worth the value of the assets.

You can certainly start up a new company that has no assets in partnership with your friend and give him 49% of the shares. If you don't have a contract yet and are hoping to get one, this is an obviously easy way to do it. "My friend and I started a company, he has 49%, I have 51%." This happens all the time.

If you already have a contract then you do have income and then it becomes more complex. But if this is really a startup and there's no guaranteed income yet, then you can pretty much do what you want.

Your friend in France will have to report any dividends received and pay tax on them.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Mate, the tone of responses to this thread results from the fact that what you are doing looks like tax avoidance, and you've been vague enough about why you are doing it and what you gain by it that it makes everyone suspicious, me included.

But I'll put all that aside, because if you are trying to accomplish something illegal you'll get caught. So some thoughts.

If you have a new company that has no income and no assets, it's worth nothing, so the shares are worth nothing and you can give them away without worrying about it. If you hope to sign a contract but haven't yet, then you have no income, and the shares are worthless.

If you have assets but no income yet (no contracts), the company is worth the value of the assets.

You can certainly start up a new company that has no assets in partnership with your friend and give him 49% of the shares. If you don't have a contract yet and are hoping to get one, this is an obviously easy way to do it. "My friend and I started a company, he has 49%, I have 51%." This happens all the time.

If you already have a contract then you do have income and then it becomes more complex. But if this is really a startup and there's no guaranteed income yet, then you can pretty much do what you want.

Your friend in France will have to report any dividends received and pay tax on them.
                And corporation tax also has to be paid on the profits before the dividends are issued (yes, it should be obvious but I've seen people assume that because the money was being sent abroad the tax didn't need to be paid - and it does).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Market value is a question though. The sahres are going to bring in 10's of thousands of K in the next three years so market value is going to be far more than he/she is willing to pay and defeat the whole point of the exercise. No one in contracting ever pays market value so don't think this is going to work at all.

And even 51/49 as a majority shareholder doesn't mean it isn't tax evasion.
                  The 51 49 split wasn't meant to address tax evasion. It was to ensure control was retained.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                    The 51 49 split wasn't meant to address tax evasion. It was to ensure control was retained.
                    I get that but in the past people like Simon Dolan for one stated he preferred the earner gets the larger chunk even if its 51% to reflect being the main earner and not for control reasons. Obviously there was plenty of heated discussion around it and many others thought it made no difference. I like the idea of it being unequal in the favour of the person that's actually doing anything. Just my preference and the opinion, rightly or wrongly, of some accountants.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

Thanks for your advice! Oh I wasn't complaining about the tone of responses, I am enjoying them! Yeah what I'm doing is tax evasion, it just seems wrong to me that after the first 15k and with corporation tax included, its 79% cut from what I give! I think it's not unreasonable to avoid that and just pay the corporation and tax and my friend to pay tax on the dividend in France inline with the amount received, like a normal person. I'd understand if we were millionaires trying to avoid tax but all I want is to be taxed at the rate any normal person would be.

A few people think I'm being vague, which I don't understand, I want to give money to my friend. Perhaps people are confusing vagueness with an answer that is not believable to them? Which I totally understand!

Anyway thank for your advice, I guess I should've just started the company jointly, but oh well!

Comment

Working...
                      X