• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shall I bother waiting longer for CT refund?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shall I bother waiting longer for CT refund?

The company closure process has been dragging on for 6 months.
    It's now been 15 weeks since the accountant filed the necessary returns stating that a £680 Corporation Tax refund is due from HMRC.

If that was received and then paid to me personally together with any other leftover funds, I would be keeping an extra £680 x (1-10%) = £612

Note: Accountant isn't charging any monthly fees while this is going on.

Is it worth keeping the company open and waiting for this refund for the sake of £612?
    Or would you just write it off, submit a DS01 and close the company so that you can forget about everything?

I'm assuming in those 15 weeks someone has contacted HMRC to ask about progress of the refund?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I'm assuming in those 15 weeks someone has contacted HMRC to ask about progress of the refund?
      I suspect that may be an assumption too many.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Twice I've chased the accountant and he's said he's chased HMRC. Sometimes he's wasted an hour waiting on the phone only to then hear the automatic "we're too busy to answer" message.

Comment

Pick up the phone yourself. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
            Twice I've chased the accountant and he's said he's chased HMRC. Sometimes he's wasted an hour waiting on the phone only to then hear the automatic "we're too busy to answer" message.
            Um, given that the accountant isn't charging you surely that is something you could and should be doing yourself (as Scruff says).
            Last edited by eek; 27 October 2020, 07:38. Reason: Scruff beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Um, given that the accountant isn't charging you surely that is something you could and should be doing yourself (as Scruff says).
              Ummm .... It hasn’t been free - there were upfront costs ;-)

What I said was there aren’t any ongoing monthly costs - as they would otherwise be an obvious factor in the decision.
              Last edited by PTP; 27 October 2020, 08:48.

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
                Ummm ������ It hasn’t been free ������

There were upfront costs. What I said was there aren’t any ongoing monthly costs - as they would otherwise be an obvious factor in the decision.
                There is still no money being paid for the hour that the accountant is spending on the phone.

So it won't be a priority for him to do anything if paid work is available.

Just chase it up yourself...

Comment

Same as what everyone else has said. I think if someone owed me over £600 I wouldn't be sitting around waiting for it to appear..
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Get a refund or interest on your Corporation Tax - GOV.UK

Refunds
                    Use your Company Tax Return to tell HMRC if you think you’re due a Corporation Tax refund (known as a ‘repayment’) and how you want it paid.

You can either:

get it paid directly to your company’s bank account or someone else’s account - include the account number and sort code on every tax return you file

It was a very long time ago, but I believe I had a company tax refund paid directly to me in a past life: HMRC sent me a cheque for the company and I called and told them the company didn't exist any more, and asked them to re-send the cheque in my name.

Comment

Working...
                    X