• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on company closure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on company closure

I am in the process of closing down the limited company. How long does it take for an accountant to finalise the accounts, file the corporation tax and close it down?

I have been with SJD accountancy for the last two years. I have asked for the company to be closed down in may 2020. After several emails (most of them were unanswered) they prepared the year end accounts and filed corporation tax in October 2020. It's been around a week and they are again back to not responding to the emails.

Their closure team didn't include any phone numbers so there's no way of reaching them.on phone. It's extremely frustrating to deal with this situation as I don't have any means to know what is going on. Can someone here please help me with this.
    Thanks

Classic SJD. They have your money and your leaving so not a priority.

All you can do is keep chasing. Maybe call their normal number and keep pestering.

To answer your question they could probably do everything they need to do in less than a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by contracworker View Post
      Their closure team didn't include any phone numbers so there's no way of reaching them.on phone. It's extremely frustrating to deal with this situation as I don't have any means to know what is going on. Can someone here please help me with this.
      Thanks
      Did you pay a one off closure fee or are you still paying the monthly fee ? You need to get a phone number even if it means going around in circles for a while, persist.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        Did you pay a one off closure fee or are you still paying the monthly fee ? You need to get a phone number even if it means going around in circles for a while, persist.
        I paid a one off closure fee. They responded finally, saying that the request for deregistration from vat has been submitted. But they have taken so long to come even this far. Can I file complaint with a ombudsman service for this? I cannot accept that it took them five months to prepare a year end account?

Comment

I paid a one off closure fee. They responded finally, saying that the request for deregistration from vat has been submitted. But they have taken so long to come even this far. Can I file complaint with a ombudsman service for this? I cannot accept that it took them five months to prepare a year end account?
          I don't know. I think just make sure they know you are unhappy and then keep the pressure on.

Comment

I am in the process of closing down the limited company. How long does it take for an accountant to finalise the accounts, file the corporation tax and close it down?

I have been with SJD accountancy for the last two years. I have asked for the company to be closed down in may 2020. After several emails (most of them were unanswered) they prepared the year end accounts and filed corporation tax in October 2020. It's been around a week and they are again back to not responding to the emails.

Thanks
            I had the exact same issue with SJD. I requested my closure back in March and it took around 6 months for them to simply pass my details onto the liquidator. During that period, they regularly ignored my emails and calls, and on the rare occasion they did reply they just fobbed me off. It was incredibly frustrating and it took me leaving a negative review on trustpilot to finally get a response.

To be fair, when my details were finally passed over to the liquidator, the actual liquidation process is quite smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by DaaaaaaaaaaN View Post
              I had the exact same issue with SJD. I requested my closure back in March and it took around 6 months for them to simply pass my details onto the liquidator. During that period, they regularly ignored my emails and calls, and on the rare occasion they did reply they just fobbed me off. It was incredibly frustrating and it took me leaving a negative review on trustpilot to finally get a response.

To be fair, when my details were finally passed over to the liquidator, the actual liquidation process is quite smooth.
              Can you tell us the name of the liquidator? I assume they are separate to SJD?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                Can you tell us the name of the liquidator? I assume they are separate to SJD?
                They are called SJD Insolvency Services. I believe its a separate entity from the accountancy practice but under the SJD umbrella.

I have found them very straightforward to deal with so far.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 August 2021, 14:31.

Comment

Working...
                X