• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to SIPP, some questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by win10 View Post
    Thanks for that.
    It is clear my wife earns small part of the fees for the company (I'd say 5-7%) through her doing the admin and book keeping. So is there any (broad) guide from HMRC on how much an employee like this can have as pension contribution to a SIPP.

Can anyone suggest any SIPP provider (besides vanguard)? What do I need to look for? Fees?
    If I open a SIPP now I suppose I dont have a minimum sum to put in. Or some of them want a minimum payment. Really green on this topics.
    doing admin and book-keeping for your company is NOT fee-earning work.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      You're wife's admin/bookeeping brings in 5-7% of revenue to the company?
      More or less. Calculated on the hours she puts in it. It is not only a/bk, but this is not relevant here.

Other important thing. Are SIPP pots protected if the provider/investment fund went kaput? I have read they are by the state for up to £85k. This doesnt of course cover bad investment. Is that so?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        doing admin and book-keeping for your company is NOT fee-earning work.
        Fair enough. So have anyone provided SIPP pension to spouse? Even not of £40k magnitude.

Comment

More or less. Calculated on the hours she puts in it. It is not only a/bk, but this is not relevant here.
          She EARNS 5-7%. ie, she does 5-7% of the work that is billed to clients? Are you sure?

Comment

Fair enough. So have anyone provided SIPP pension to spouse? Even not of £40k magnitude.
            I doubt that anyone on here has tried to maximise pension by doing £80k per year.
            On that basis, why split it when £40k is more than most would do per year anyway? It's half hers anyway.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Wife's SIPP is clear now. No point going in circles on how much she contributes to LTD.
              Any more insight on the other questions will be appreciated.

Comment

Other important thing. Are SIPP pots protected if the provider/investment fund went kaput? I have read they are by the state for up to £85k. This doesnt of course cover bad investment. Is that so?
                How are my investments protected?

Would I lose my pension if my investing platform goes bust? | This is Money

Comment

Any more insight on the other questions will be appreciated.
                  Go to this site. Read it. Particularly the platform comparison table.

Monevator — Make more money, invest profitably, retire early

Comment

Questions:
                    If I have personal savings of 40k.
                    If I open a SIPP now and dont pay 40k from the company, but put my own saved 40k.
                    Can I do this at all or it must be up to 8k (my salary)?
                    And will I get any tax back? Mind I havent paid any tax when on 8k salary.
                    How does this work?

Comment

Questions:
                      If I have personal savings of 40k.
                      If I open a SIPP now and dont pay 40k from the company, but put my own saved 40k.
                      Can I do this at all or it must be up to 8k (my salary)?
                      And will I get any tax back? Mind I havent paid any tax when on 8k salary.
                      How does this work?
                      You are clearly struggling badly with this whole thing so instead of asking a few high level questions you need a better low level grasp of this so I would say you need ot go ask a professional. Might seem like a simple question but it's asking to explain the whole thing to you. You really need to get this right so either do some research online or chat to your accountant or friendly IFA. Asking a bunch of contractors to teach you the basic of pensions isn't the best start.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X