• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timing of Electric car purchase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonglim View Post
    I have 100k in the bank for a car and a separate warchest.
    If I had £100k in the bank, I'd not blow it on an electric car.
    The normal way to get an electric car is to lease it - specifically, you're leasing the batteries. These have a lifespan that is less than the rest of the car and the technology behind them is changing and improving all the time.

So, unless there's missing parts to the story - such as where the office is located relative to where you live, how soon you plan to close down the company and privately acquire all its assets, who will actually be using the car, where your clients are based, how often you drive to them, how you plan to insure the car, etc, etc, then I'd strongly advise against it.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Bonglim View Post
      I often get asked to do more work when I'm already booked up. I can't suddenly create time and I don'y want to work non-stop. So sometimes I tell a client that if they want me to do more work, they have to wait until I am free. If they demand their extra work is done now I politely remind them I am not an employee and carry on with my contracted work.

My accountant is the same. The existing compliance work they have to and will deliver on time. If I ask them to do more work, as far as I am concerned they are within their rights to get through the other work already booked in before getting to my work. I could ask another accountant - but I would prefer to just wait.

You aren't asking them to do more work. You are asking for the service you've paid for and expect. Get that in to your head. You pay, you expect an SLA. You asking them questions is the service they provide, not extra work.

So the above is just wrong. Prefering to wait isn't working out very well for you though is it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
        Google "James Ruppert Bangernomics" or check out Shed Of The Week on Pistonheads if you want something more inspiring than a 5 year old Mondeo for the same sort of dosh or even less
        Really weird, some people have 'range anxiety' with the current crop of 300 miles range EVs. I have bangernomics anxiety with the reliability bit!

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
          Really weird, some people have 'range anxiety' with the current crop of 300 miles range EVs. I have bangernomics anxiety with the reliability bit!
          I must admit I am in the camp where I would prefer a good bangernomics motor over an EV. I did have a look at the Jag I Pace for my pending renewal and it was nice (range anxiety and the cost of the mods I need mean it didnt stack even though the discounts I get on JLR are very nice headline wise.) but I had to go else where and am currently looking at a new motor for a Feb/March delivery.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
            I must admit I am in the camp where I would prefer a good bangernomics motor over an EV. I did have a look at the Jag I Pace for my pending renewal and it was nice (range anxiety and the cost of the mods I need mean it didnt stack even though the discounts I get on JLR are very nice headline wise.) but I had to go else where and am currently looking at a new motor for a Feb/March delivery.
            If you get anything by JLR you have reliability problems anyway.
            I like them but they are tulip.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              If you get anything by JLR you have reliability problems anyway.
              I like them but they are tulip.
              I live quite close to one of the JLR plants.
              Every other vehicle round here is JLR and prototypes are driven past my house every day.
              I know quite a few JLR people(friends/neighbours) hence the discounts I can get - Mahoosive.
              My friends keep telling me that the stories about crap reliability are bulltulip and a thing of history but I am taking that with a pinch of salt
              My current available list with free adaptations is not looking very inspiring though!
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Working...
              X