• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting Newbie: US-based client and contract review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting Newbie: US-based client and contract review

Hi,

Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere, I wasn't able to find anything relevant when searching.

I am considering setting up a limited company to initially work with a US-client. They are currently drafting a contract and I have spoken with a few accountants including Maslins (thanks for the recommendation!). I have a few questions...
    1. As there will be no agency involved I would like to get a contract reviewed (for IR35 and to make sure i'm not getting screwed over). I have seen mentions of QDOS, but curious of companies who can provide a complete contract service and amend the contract as needed?
    2. As a UK based limited company, what is the tax situation in the US for me? Do I need to worry about this?

Cheers!

Edit: apologies if this is in the wrong forum, please move as necessary

Did you try the Google search, not the search box at the top? I'm sure we've done US tax before.

In google type
    (search term) site:cobtractoruk.com/forums
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Did you try the Google search, not the search box at the top? I'm sure we've done US tax before.

In google type
      cobtractoruk?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The US tax situation, assuming you’re not a US citizen and you’re doing all the work from the UK (hint: you will be without a work visa or green card), is that neither you nor YourCo is taxable on the “non-US source income“ of a “non-US person“ (both apply here). In short, no US tax or withholding tax, but the US client may ask you to complete a W8-BEN-E for YourCo.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          cobtractoruk?
          Yep. Or Barmtractoruk for the Mancs.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

In google type
            I did not, thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              The US tax situation, assuming you’re not a US citizen and you’re doing all the work from the UK (hint: you will be without a work visa or green card), is that neither you nor YourCo is taxable on the “non-US source income“ of a “non-US person“ (both apply here). In short, no US tax or withholding tax, but the US client may ask you to complete a W8-BEN-E for YourCo.
              Great, thanks, I appreciate it!

I am not a US citizen, but I have been in the US working on a visa until recently. This won't overlap in tax years, so I think it's fine, but something I should check too!

Comment

Originally posted by paskesaurus View Post
                Great, thanks, I appreciate it!

I am not a US citizen, but I have been in the US working on a visa until recently. This won't overlap in tax years, so I think it's fine, but something I should check too!
                From the US side, as you'll know, the tax year is a calendar year, not our weird 6 April nonsense, but you can get split-year treatment.

Anyway, since you're not a US citizen, it should be straightforward.

Comment

Working...
                X