• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to report an agency to Cabinet Office re security clearance pre-requisite

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to report an agency to Cabinet Office re security clearance pre-requisite

In response to my application for a role requiring security clearance, I have just received an email from the agent saying "can you confirm if you currently have active SC Security clearance as this is a pre-requisite for the role."

I have pointed out to them that they cannot make it a pre-requisite as that is against Government guidelines as per Document Moved

I don't expect it to make any difference, but was wondering how this should be reported to the Cabinet Office

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post1099791

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    [email protected]

Take a screenshot / print to PDF and send it to them with a URL.
    Gov dropped the GSI out of the emails so try that first but should help you find the proper one.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Actually I did it.. It's here...

United Kingdom Security Vetting:Referee, Supervisor, Hiring Managers and Contractors - GOV.UK

Contractors
      Guidance on security clearance for companies who bid for MOD contracts
      You do not need to hold security clearances to bid for UK Government work advertised in the Official Journal of the European Community and other sources. Government contracting procedures make sure that there is no competitive advantage in having prior security clearances. Requests for clearances must be raised during the contractual process.

The Statement of HMG Personnel Security and National Security Vetting Policy (Annex A)‘HMG Personnel Security Controls’ mandates that individuals should not be expected to hold an existing security clearance in order to apply for posts that require vetting, except where such posts are short term and need to be filled urgently. Otherwise, advertising for staff that already hold a security clearance is contrary to government policy, unnecessary and potentially discriminatory, as laid out in the Cabinet Office code of practice document, ‘Recruiting for vacancies requiring National Security Vetting Clearance’.

Any individual who sees such a criterion specified in advertisements when seeking employment can inform the Cabinet Office by forwarding full details of the post and the employer to the following email address: [email protected]. Concerns can also be raised through the Public Procurement Review Service
      Although the bolded bit kinda blows your situation out of the water. We all pick on the filled urgently bit but with 'short term' being in there as well then it appears the agencies have free reign to ask for existing clearance.

I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
        In response to my application for a role requiring security clearance, I have just received an email from the agent saying "can you confirm if you currently have active SC Security clearance as this is a pre-requisite for the role."

I have pointed out to them that they cannot make it a pre-requisite as that is against Government guidelines as per Document Moved

I don't expect it to make any difference, but was wondering how this should be reported to the Cabinet Office
        just say yes.
        This is just the agent checking as they don't want you to be binned after 3 weeks when if you can't get clearance.

If they ask for proof tell them it's held by the current sponsor and they are only willing to transfer to a new sponsor and not provide copies for individuals.
        If you have any evidence of having it in the past give that to the agent.

Reporting them is only going to prevent you getting the role.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          just say yes.
          This is just the agent checking as they don't want you to be binned after 3 weeks when if you can't get clearance.

If they ask for proof tell them it's held by the current sponsor and they are only willing to transfer to a new sponsor and not provide copies for individuals.
          If you have any evidence of having it in the past give that to the agent.
          How is any of the going to work if he doesn't hold clearance?? What a waste of everyones time. If he doesn't it's also lying.
          It will? How?

Comment

This has always annoyed me - Gov say don't add it as a pre-req, Gov dept asks for role with clearance as a pre-req, Agency is blamed. No client ever says 'I'm happy to take a candidate and wait for clearance' - it's always if they can't fill the role that may be considered. Annoying but something the Gov should be fully in control of as it's often coming from them (or a consoirtia/project funded by them).

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
              This has always annoyed me - Gov say don't add it as a pre-req, Gov dept asks for role with clearance as a pre-req, Agency is blamed. No client ever says 'I'm happy to take a candidate and wait for clearance' - it's always if they can't fill the role that may be considered. Annoying but something the Gov should be fully in control of as it's often coming from them (or a consoirtia/project funded by them).
              Dig a little deeper. Any HMG Agency or Department will not specify that clearance is required for applicants

the problem is consultancies working for HMG who CBA to manage cleared staff (despite them having to include funding in their tenders) or agencies who have a quick way to cut down the lists.

But I agree with the others. If you don't have active SC within the last year, don't even bother.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Actually I did it.. It's here...

United Kingdom Security Vetting:Referee, Supervisor, Hiring Managers and Contractors - GOV.UK

Although the bolded bit kinda blows your situation out of the water. We all pick on the filled urgently bit but with 'short term' being in there as well then it appears the agencies have free reign to ask for existing clearance.

I wouldn't bother if I were you.
                Thanks, NLUK

I'm going to report them. Their justification was "our client are a large government organisation and due to the nature of the data that contractors will access they have a requirement for security clearance.", so the bolded bit you quoted doesn't really apply - it's a more widely-held position.

TBH, I don't believe for a minute that reporting them will make any difference, but matters definitely won't improve by not reporting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  They've already said they won't put me forward due to no SC, so I have nothing to lose.

Comment

So, I reported it to the email address and got the following response

Address not found
                    Your message wasn't delivered to [email protected] because the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive email.

Comment

Working...
                    X